Leash Grabbing

Mummamia

Does she lick often before fits if not leash grabbing.

For me the leash grabbing & licking could be ways for her to alert to a fit or she trying to soothe the panic of what is about to happen

No no licking before fitting... Just an example I gave where she just happenned to be licking at the time and her tongue didn't go back in just stuck straight out... Stiff as a board...

'Alert to a fit thought'... Yes that's possible...

Inclide to stick with leash grabbing and fitting are clearly two different issues... She doesn't grab anything before or after fitting... But if she has grabbed the leash or been able to head butt another dog it is not a suprise if she does fits...

Another example... Sitting on my bed beside me and fits... Nothing has happenned that I know about...

Another example... Walking along under a bridge(on a leash)looks up at the concrete wall and starts fitting... To lighten these moments I say 'The ghosts are here'

She is not a pure staffie. She has something else. I've always thought a bit of cattle so if 'staffy' to have this issue, is only if they are pure then it can't be that.

If both of her parents were part Staffordshire Bull Terrier it is possible that she could have inherited L2-HGA from them both without being pure bred - cross bred dogs get lots of genetic issues just that way despite what idiots want us all to believe about how healthy they are :)

L2 can manifest in many forms and there is a DNA test for it if you think it's a possibility ($60 AFAIK), but you'd have to research it a fair bit and knowing why won't help stop it so perhaps not really a useful path to follow.

So it is possible... I am reading more and have tried to find videos that depict this... Can only find seizure videos that don't mention L2-HGA. I will research and discuss with my vet... Test is cheap enough... Thanks so much and will follow up with you... No planned vet visits but with 5 animals and I transport rescue dogs farely regularly from vet to rescue... It won't be too long...

Then I do not understand your reference to separate breed and such.. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier (often called English Staffy) has not had any breed separation happen recently that I am aware of, whereas your comment sounded like you might be referring to AmStaffs and Pitbulls?

Sorry I am a little confused what you meant?

Then I do not understand your reference to separate breed and such.. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier (often called English Staffy) has not had any breed separation happen recently that I am aware of, whereas your comment sounded like you might be referring to AmStaffs and Pitbulls?

Sorry I am a little confused what you meant?

I'm confused too. Without starting a debate about breeds. I can see both sides of this debate.

I'm not sure where I referred to separate breeds. Perhaps you were referring to my comment re: Staffie, new dog and Foster...

Staffy is English staffy with a bit of something else.

New dog is Shar Pei I adopted over a year ago.

Foster is Shar Pei. Been with me for about 5 months now.

Hope this clears it up.

I really, really should have kept my questions far more simple. I'll now know to do this in the future... :thumbsup: