Cushings Question

ktn

Hi everyone, I have an older girl, just over 13 who has been having her liver enzyme elevating slowly over the years. ALT levels are 400 [under 150 normal range). So we did an ultra sound to find that only one if her adrenal glands are enlarged. Incidentally, the ultra sound showed she has very small kidneys, which might be something she's born with. Her kidney levels from the blood test are in range.

So she may have the adrenal form of cushings but I think more test is needed. I've started noticing that she is drinking a bit more regularly (like getting out of bed to drink in hourly or half hourly intervals after dinner in winter?). But I should measure how much she's actually drinking maybe.

Does anyone know what a single enlarged gland usually means and what I can do to understand a bit more about what to expect? She's an older cranky lady who hates the vets and being handled (a rescue dog with traumatic past probably) but so lovely when she's happy. Grateful for any advice.

One adrenal gland significantly bigger than the other can mean a tumour. If it is, and it is confined to the one gland, then removing the (bad) gland is an option, depending on what sort it is and her overall health.

You only need one good one to function normally.

The drinking more water is a symptom. As it gets worse, you may have problems with bedwetting because of the sheer amount of water drunk.

My standard schnauzer Luigi was 12 when symptoms started to be noticed and just 13 when he was successfully operated on. He died at 16 of old age.

From memory the test is a Dexx Suppression test which takes > 4 hours to do but will indicate what sort it is.

There are other choices if surgery is not an option.. there are other DOLers who have more experience with that side.

Edited by SchnauzerMax