Sock Swallowing

Leaving socks lying around is not an unusual thing to do. I have always taken off my shoes and put my socks in them or on top of them.

Plus, this time it is socks, next time it mat be something even more dangerous, as such I think people concentrating on your brother is the wrong approach.Hopefully someone can offer some useful advice in regards to what you can do with the Lab.

People are being realistic. Unless you want the Lab to be fitted with a shock collar and fried every time he goes near a sock, then removing access is the go.

If you don't want a dog to have things, don't leave them where the dog can get them. Dead easy and beats any kind of strong aversion training which is about all you'd have to try.

This is life threatening behaviour for the dog. Telling a young man to close his bedroom door and not to leave socks lying around is hardly onerous is it?

I sure as hell don't leave food or shoes lying around here and I don't blame the dogs for being.. well dogs!

I agree that the brother should be held accountable to an extent and encouraged to change his habits for the sake of the dog.

But, assuming the issue is then resolved would be a mistake as the dog may find something else it finds to consume. If there are additional training techniques that could be utilized to help in the situation it would be good feedback rather than just saying make the brother pay.