Celery Seeds

Shelb74

I don't know anything pertaining to the effects/affects of celery seeds for dogs but just something by way of 'tip' that I know of in relation to taking them myself .....

Many years ago, my Dad used to make his own bread and he'd 'invent' his own recipe, so to speak. He was given a bucket full of celery seeds by a friend of his so he decided he'd include these in his bread mix. I didn't know this. I loved his home cooked bread and I'd invariably have some toasted each day I was there (used to have my horse at Mum and Dad's place, so I was there daily).

I started to worry that something was wrong with me because I was constantly needing to go to the toilet (urinate), to the point that I'd no sooner 'go' and I'd need to 'go' again. Then I found out about the celery seeds, googled info on them and found out they are good for rectifying fluid retention. I asked (pleaded, lol) Dad to stop with the celery seeds in the bread and things went back to normal.

So .... I guess it would be a case of how much you feed (and I realise that's part of your question, and one I don't know the answer to) and what you want to give them to your elderly dog for. I'd be concerned about the possibility of losing too much fluid and maybe worsening of or triggering incontinence ????

These are all just musings based on my own experience as outlined above, and some thoughts for you to maybe check up on before you begin to include these in your dog's diet.

ETA: Steve (DOL Member) would be a person who is likely to have knowledge on this and be able to answer you.

Edited by Erny