Training Yourself

Guest Pixel

It is the sit commands that I KNOW she knows...she just doesn't want too :rolleyes:

It is either the motivator that you use is not good enough or she doesnt know the command.

It is not really good if you give the dog any commnad and wait 5 minutes for the dog to execute it. than give it a treat. Dos is to comply within a shortes possible time, it might save its live one day...

You say come dog compies 5 minutes later but in the meantime get run over by the bus.....

She doesnt do it straight away - you are not doing something correctly, or she doesnt know what to do.

Guest Tess32

Also if you reward her with sitting 5 minutes later than she has no need to sit "quickly", you are simply rewarding her for taking so much time.

Complicated eh!

Nat

Guest Pixel

So what do you so when they just don't reply? Walk off and end "snack time"?, have the 'snack' myself?

Guest Tess32

It's hard to say without seeing her - we can't be sure she truly knows the command.

Sometimes dogs have a hard time generalising - you could have been training "sit" in the living room and some truly won't be able to do it in the kitchen!

This is part of the problem with training yourself - sometimes it's good for another train to see what you are doing and tell you if it's wrong or not.

Nat

Can I suggest? Get a really really high value treat, something your dog absolutely loves. Show it to her. Let her sniff it - tease her a little. Ask her to sit. If she sits for it immediately to get the treat, then she knows the command, at least in that situation. If she won't sit, then she probably doesn't know it properly. :rolleyes:

My dog used to have selective hearing - would sit immediately if he knew you had a great treat on you, but would "forget" if you didn't.

Guest Pixel
It's hard to say without seeing her - we can't be sure she truly knows the command.

She is sitting, so I say "Drop" with the palm down command. Her head dips down and her paw moves, but she just doesn't move anything else. If I stand there long enough it is like she goes "Oh alright then" and drops :shrug:

I will let you know how I went. I took her for a run this afternoon and made sure I rewarded her for every command (even sit). I got some good recall when she saw or heard other dogs. Of course not always :rolleyes:

Guest Tess32

I could interpret that another way though - you've been teaching "drop" recently, so she *thinks* you want a drop but isn't sure - so she waits to see if your body communicates something else. After a while she figures you probably want a drop, and so does.

Honestly, it is really hard to say without seeing you. For example plenty of people start praising before the dog has actually dropped and so the dog only ends up dropping half way!

There are so many variables and in a lot of them, we honestly believe the dog knows the command, when it does.

Playing at the park is a great way to introduce those exercises under mild - high distractions :rolleyes:

I was surprised myself when my dog did a recall 4 times this morning through milling/people and dogs from about 40 feet away :shrug:

Nat

$136 for 6 weeks??? Is this charged by the RSPCA???????? All I can say is YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is another place in brisbane that charges $145 for 8 weeks and they have about 10-12 dogs in the class with one instructer and one assistant - what a joke!!

You can come train with us for 6 weeks and fork out a whopping $30! (after a $25 membership fee for the whole family and the whole year) and you never pay more than a week in advance so if you can't make it you're not out of pocket.