8 Week Whippet

Whippy

We just picked up a gorgeous whippet puppy on Sunday night, she is called Rosie and is lovely, but I have a few questions if anyone can help me!

During the day she is quite happy sleeping on her bed in our family room and I am happy with that too. At night however I am putting her in the laundry, but she whined and cried so loudly it disturbed the neighbours. I therefore brought her bed in to our bedroom and she slept fine there with me getting up every 2/3 hrs to take her out for a wee. At least we all got some sleep that way. I am gradually moving her bed further and further away and it seems to be ok. During the day, I do put her in the laundry sometimes. And i do close the door for short periods of time to get her used to it - she has a nice cosy bed in there too. I have also left her in their alone for short periods whilst I take the kids to school/swimming lessons etc etc. She does cry, but not as much as at night and she there was a small amount of sick on two occasions. At night, she was really distressed though, bouncing off the door and almost yelping. Am I doing the right things? She is doing very well witht he toilet training and I take her outside to the same spot regularly so that she will learn to do it there.

I am just concerned about the sleep thing that I am creating a problme by letting her sleep in our room. Should I just put her in the laundry and shut the door and be done with it? I tried the ticking/radio on/hot water bottle, but it did not seem to make much difference.

All help/advice gratefully received!!!

Thank you

A crate is fantastic for puppies. No problems with toileting accidents in the house and no destruction if you're out. Dogs feel safe in a crate.

I would put the bed in a crate in the bedroom for a week and then move it to somewhere else :) A crate has been the most useful purchase I have ever made. Once the pup is older she will sleep in the laundry without it.

Whippets have no body fat so may get cold in a laundry.