Malamutes Health

Talien

I thankyou all for you help and thoughts.

This thread was started so that I could glean more information on Mal's some of you have been most helpful but i want to say something.

I am doing research and this is part of that so please stop telling me that I should do more research. The fact that I am doing the research and getting Mal owners opinions makes me better than those who go out and get a pup of any kind without attempting to understand the breed.

I will be doing research up until the day I get the pup, so please, please stop telling me that I need to do more research, that is why I am asking you all for you help regarding their health.

Regards

Kel.

Don't get offended by people telling you to research, and please once you get the pup don't stop either. There is so much to learn.

I have had Kane for 3 years and I am still doing research and learning new things every day. So is my husband, it's a major conversation with us when one finds out something new. We go to great lengths to discuss it and then the other does their own search on the topic. Different people will tell you different things, thus the reason I speak to people that have had the breed for 15 years or more and speak to breeders, and look things up. Sorry if I offended you, the breed means so much to me and I hate seeing people get a pup and say they researched and know what they are in for, then the pup ends up at the pound cause clearly enough they didn't do the research or know really anything.

There is a site called Malamute health which has good info as well. Check it out.

I am doing research and this is part of that so please stop telling me that I should do more research. The fact that I am doing the research and getting Mal owners opinions makes me better than those who go out and get a pup of any kind without attempting to understand the breed.

Yes I agree with above, but please keep reading.

Please don't misunderstand the people on here. Owners of any breed, Mals included love there breed and we will do anything to help a new owner and the breed itself. "Mal" my wife above is very passionate about our belovered boy and his breed (as I am) and I can tell you that anything she is trying to say is purely to help you and your future Mal.

A few posts ago I directed you to a Mal only web site where the people are exceptionally friendly and experienced with the breed. The site is full of so much information that you will suffer from information overload on everything form grooming to annual injections and the good and bad points of owning a Mal. Most of it is very funny with the different stories from around the world of what Mals will do, you quickly learn that no matter where they live in the world they are the same the world over.

A use of the search function on that board, and this one to an extent you will learn more, and more quickly than you will by asking individual questions on here when you think of a subject you think is important. On a side note the use of seach function on a board will prevent you form asking questions that give the indication that you may not have done the research that we (as owners) believe is required to understand the breed. This is a really easy way to avoid the "do more research" statement that you have learnt to hate. Research is more than asking questions it also involves using the "search" feature on the boards involved and doing your own reading.

As "Mal" said, even when you get him/her you will never stop learning and reseraching. Both of us, as stated are still learning. I honestly believe we will never stop learning, even when you know the breed the medical side of things always changes. You only need to look at the changes in annual injections, and training techniques to see that in the last few years.

Hi Kelnori,

I couldn't imagine life without my big beautiful boy. Malamutes can be the most rewarding breed but you do have to put in the effort from day 1. My pup started training at 8 weeks old as we were always aware of the mals tendancies to dominate. Make sure you get your training classes lined up before you bring your pup home.

My boy doesnt eat much either. He is 27" and about 48kg and eats 2 biscuits in the morning and a cup of Purina One and about 200g of meat for dinner. Costs about $10-15 per week to feed.

Grooming, while he does require a big brush once a week he need to go to a professional groomer once a quater to keep him looking and feeling gorgeous. I'm actually in the process of finding a new groomer at the moment.

We desexed him at 6 months old on the breeders advice, he also has hip displacia which is something to be very aware of as they grow so quickly.

Goodluck with you mal!