Toilet Training With Steps

karen65ae

Have been reading this forum for a while and have found it very helpful.Thank you

I have a 10 week old papillon. We live in a 2 storey house so I have been carrying the pup down the steps to the grassed area to be toileted. He then climbs back up the 18 steps. I read last night that you should not let a young pup climb steps .

Should I keep doing what I am doing and carry him back up the steps or should I paper train him on the upstairs veranda?

If the second option is the best at what age can I let him climb up and down the steps.

Thanks for your help.

I would continue to take him downstairs to toilet. Then carry him back up. We carried Bailey outside to toilet even though we don't have stairs because walking around stimulates their need to wee. When you have to leave him alone where does he go? Does he have access to outside while home alone?

I am not sure when he can go up stairs I would say he should be right by 6 months but someone here would have a proper answer for that question.

My little Samoyed has been JUMPING down 2-3 steps he's now so confident. The side of the 4 concrete steps leading up to my back yard are exposed so now I'll put something there so he can't jump down.

I read the other day its not so much the steps themselves that are the problem, its just the dogs become over-confident and run up/down them too fast and then have an accident. When I saw my 9-week old puppy JUMP down 3 steps this morning I was horrified for this exact reason.