Invisible Fences

Hi.

I have a GSP that has the uncanny ability to chew only things that are very expensive or very loved!!! This is not usually a problem because we never leave anything out that is dear to our heart.

The problem is that we want to start getting some outdoor toys for our kids. Now 90% of me says he wont chew but I just can't say for sure. We were thinking of getting a invisible fence and just putting it around the toys (an area 5m x 5m). We have a fairly big backyard so that he will still be able to run around and wont get zapped everywhere he goes. He has however grown up being able to run the whole backyard and is now 4 years old.

I guess my question is firstly are they humane? Secondly do they actually work and thirdly do you think it would be unfair to suddenly introduce an area of the yard he is not allowed it.

My other option (much more expensive for me) is to put pool fencing along and section off a portion of the yard.

Hope you can help.

There was a looong discussion on Innotek fences on DOL some time ago, you might still find it in archives. We used it a lot, with both dogs, and it was a great help and salvation. Whether it will work, depends on the dog, but generally the idea is not silly. We taught Solly not to sleep on the outdoor table by putting the wire on it - one week was enough (but he knew what beeping means). The fence is humane, I think - first of all, you teach dog to backup when it hears the beeping. Secondly, the jolt is not strong at all. You have to teach dog over about 2 weeks. Its not cheap, though.

• 7 months later...
Hi.

I guess my question is firstly are they humane? Secondly do they actually work and thirdly do you think it would be unfair to suddenly introduce an area of the yard he is not allowed it.

My other option (much more expensive for me) is to put pool fencing along and section off a portion of the yard.

We have a K9 system we have used for years, with few problems. Our dog is a small dumb shi-tzu, and does not challenge the fence at all. Once he had a couple of jolts as a puppy, he has never wanted to repeat the experience. The only problem now is that he isn't wearing the collar (because he always respected the invisible fence, and was too dumb to know when he wasn't wearing the collar), and he has 'accidentally' discovered that he is free to run around.

But once we put the collar back on him with new batteries, he only has to hear the beep once and he's well behaved again.

Are they humane? Yes, as I said the dog only has to feel this once or twice, very briefly, and that's enough. The collar has long probes (to administer the shock) which you use in the training phase, and shorter probes that won't actually shock him once he's trained. Having said that, I felt the shock once, and it was enough not to want to feel it again - not fun at all.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Pete in Qld