Froggy 1992(?) - 1996

nickyp

My mum rang me today to tell me that she'd had her cat Froggy put down. Frog had a tumour in her jaw and my parents decided that at her age (about 14) it wasn't reasonable to expect her to go through a surgery which would remove part of her jaw and leave her with difficulty eating. My parents, being elderly, also felt that they would not be up to giving her the special care she would need to recover.

My sister adopted Frog when she was teaching in country Vic in the middle of a mouse plague. The parents of one of her students offered her a kitten they had to help keep the mice out of her house. Frog was the survivor of a semi feral litter and had been hand reared by the farmer's wife. My sister called her 'Frog' because she was a tiny little thing with huge eyes.

A couple of years later Frog came to live with me while my sister worked overseas. She was an amazing creature. Lithe and agile, with a feisty, take no shit personality, but at the same time incredibly affectionate. She would favour me with a few licks on the nose each night before settling down to sleep on my bed and then wake me the same way at 5am each morning to be let out. When I got up at 7am to get ready for work she would come in for her breakfast and then take off for a day out. At one point she brought me a dead rat every morning for a week. I'd call and she would come bounding over the back fence with a rat in her mouth, drop it on the doormat and stroll inside looking very proud. I also remember watching her chase a ringtail possum through the trees at the back of the yard - literally jumping from tree to tree. She was able to go everywhere the possum could and I was very relieved when she didn't manage to catch it.

When I moved back to my parents' she came with me and stayed there after I left as she ahd become very much Mum's cat. She became obese for a while because Mum would feed her whenever she whinged and she whinged a lot! She would also jump on the benches and knock things off if Mum refused to feed her. Although she loved my dad, she would play too rough with him and gave him infections every time she bit or scratched him. She would hang out with my parents' chooks and when Mum and Dad got rid of them she wandered around for days calling and looking in the chook house for them.

RIP Froggy you'll be missed.

• 2 months later...
My mum rang me today to tell me that she'd had her cat Froggy put down. Frog had a tumour in her jaw and my parents decided that at her age (about 14) it wasn't reasonable to expect her to go through a surgery which would remove part of her jaw and leave her with difficulty eating. My parents, being elderly, also felt that they would not be up to giving her the special care she would need to recover.

My sister adopted Frog when she was teaching in country Vic in the middle of a mouse plague. The parents of one of her students offered her a kitten they had to help keep the mice out of her house. Frog was the survivor of a semi feral litter and had been hand reared by the farmer's wife. My sister called her 'Frog' because she was a tiny little thing with huge eyes.

A couple of years later Frog came to live with me while my sister worked overseas. She was an amazing creature. Lithe and agile, with a feisty, take no shit personality, but at the same time incredibly affectionate. She would favour me with a few licks on the nose each night before settling down to sleep on my bed and then wake me the same way at 5am each morning to be let out. When I got up at 7am to get ready for work she would come in for her breakfast and then take off for a day out. At one point she brought me a dead rat every morning for a week. I'd call and she would come bounding over the back fence with a rat in her mouth, drop it on the doormat and stroll inside looking very proud. I also remember watching her chase a ringtail possum through the trees at the back of the yard - literally jumping from tree to tree. She was able to go everywhere the possum could and I was very relieved when she didn't manage to catch it.

When I moved back to my parents' she came with me and stayed there after I left as she ahd become very much Mum's cat. She became obese for a while because Mum would feed her whenever she whinged and she whinged a lot! She would also jump on the benches and knock things off if Mum refused to feed her. Although she loved my dad, she would play too rough with him and gave him infections every time she bit or scratched him. She would hang out with my parents' chooks and when Mum and Dad got rid of them she wandered around for days calling and looking in the chook house for them.

RIP Froggy you'll be missed.

Hi, so sorry to hear about Froggy, may she rest in peace.

I to lost a cat only 4 yrs after buying her from the RSPCA, seems I cant

fill her spot on the bed and its now been year and I still cry (silly I know)

I know you must still feel your loss, I sent you the best of wishes.

SNOOPDOG.