Running In Circles Aroundd Peoples Feet

nick&erica

Well we've only had sam for 3 weeks so he's got a lot to learn my main concern is my 2.5 yr old son.

When we walk down the stairs sam greats us at the bottom steps but before you can even think about getting off the steps he's running circles in and out of our legs lol I know this would be common place for a pup as he's all excited and wants to play. I'm just concerned that he may trip my son up as he tries to get down. Gosh I even find it hard sometimes to keep my balance.

sam knows the commands sit and stay but because he's so hyped those commands don't even touch his ears lol, we're putting him in doggy training up here when he hits 16 weeks but that's another 4 weeks away i'm sure that will help the matter but what to do in the mean time?

Is there anything other people have tried that has worked to keep him from bashing our legs as soon as we get to the bottom step?

a child gate across the bottom of the stairs... that way you can stop on the stairs before opening the gate and command him to sit. You can then teach him that you will not open the gate until he has settled (have a quick yummy treat ready as soon as he sits...)

First rule of dog training.... NEVER allow behaviour in a pup that you don't want to see in an adult dog.

Imagine an adult Rottie trying what your pup is now doing- it won't just be kids who get skittled!! :hug:

I'd be insisting on the sit. Don't move until he settles a bit (I imagine this doesn't last long?) and encourage him to walk beside you. Put him on lead if necessary.

Our Rotty pup does the same thing...

He is 14 weeks now so he is not so bad..

Basically what we do when we are walking he tries to get in front of you and mostyly ended up us stepping on him or tripping over not really a good option for either one of us..

We just stop and wait for him to get out the way.. It might make it take 10 times longer to get anywhere but he has got the message in the end..

He knows that when we are going somewhere and he gets in the way then we dont get to go anywhere or do anything and thats not much fun..

The other thing that we do is when he gets a bit excited we just sort of push him to the side (always the left as he is a show dog) with our foot (only when we have no shoes on) not roughly just to make him aware of were he has to be...

Start to walk him around on a lead a bit more try and use one side rather than swapping from left to right.. this also helps alot...

Our puppy used to carry on when he was outside to come in and it didn't take him very long to get the message that when he bahaved like that he didn't get anywhere and especially not inside like he wanted...