Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dee lee

Pinetarsol

13 posts in this topic

Late last night I noticed Honey had been licking her tummy and it was inflamed. She occasionally gets irritated skin on her tummy from wet grass if I haven't been super vigilant with drying her.

As I usually do (as advised on here and which usually works very well), I applied some diluted pinetarsol to the area. I could almost see her sigh with relief. :laugh:

Not long after I went to bed, she hadnt been licking/scratching and she seemed fine.

Early this morning when I got up to take her for her walk though, she had obviously been licking at it. No big deal, it usually takes a few days for it all to die down.

Then on our walk, I realised she was lethargic. She wasn't really into the walk or even playing fetch- usually she LOVES it. :confused:

All morning she has been flat and sooky. I may be anthromorphising, but she also did look a little queasy.

When I left her at home with OH she was snoozing, which is not like her- especially since she didnt really tire herself out on our walk.

I just checked with him and she has been up and about but gone back to sleep.

I'm not toooo worried, she is still eating, had a couple of normal poos, hasnt vomited and is still alert.

But OH has suggested that maybe the Pinetarsol is the culprit? I notice on the bottle is says to not ingest it and obviously by licking she has done so.

So, anyone know if Pinetarsol is toxic? Googling is not coming up with anything. :confused:

Regardless, Im not sure I'd use it again.

Thanks,

Dee :wave:

Share this post


Link to post

Pine tar can be toxic to dogs when ingested. So quite possibly it is the pinetarsol if she is licking the area after treatment.

Share this post


Link to post

Why not just use salt water to bathe any inflammed areas? PLain old salt water works miracles on people with mozzie bites and I've used it for irritation on the dog and the redness has gone overnight (was a bug or spider bite).

Share this post


Link to post

I'd reccomend you use a product designed for dogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Why not just use salt water to bathe any inflammed areas? PLain old salt water works miracles on people with mozzie bites and I've used it for irritation on the dog and the redness has gone overnight (was a bug or spider bite).

Yes, salt water is great, that's what I've done since last night. :dancingelephant:

Her odd behaviour seems to have settled now. Shall toss the pinetarsol.

I was using it as recommended for skin irritations by a Goldie breeder on here.

It has worked previously but this time I think she is having allergies rather than a hot spot, so the itch is still there under the skin and she keeps licking.

I'll give her a bath in the morning and see if that helps her.

Thanks. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post

I'd think salt water could be a bit on the drying and stingy side? But hey .... if it works :dancingelephant: .

However, I'm inclined to use Calendula Tea. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities, is soothing and is natural. I find that if it is going to work, improvement can often be seen inside 24 hours. And it will do no harm whatsoever if licked. In fact, it is something that can be applied as well as taken orally.

NB: Calendula (purchase from a Health Food Store) is dried Marigold Flowers. I have known of many dogs being treated with this with success, even though some of the skin allergies are grass/pollen based. But like anything, if you apply it, try a selected area first to make sure there is no worsening of the rash.

Edited by Erny

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Erny!

That sounds it would do the trick, I'll try and get some calendula tomorrow.

Poor sweetie, I suspect she is allergic to something in the grass at our local park.

I'm pretty strict on her food because of her sensitive skin so Im fairly sure its not that.

Right now, I'm thankful she is not as lethargic as she was.

Share this post


Link to post
I'll try and get some calendula tomorrow.

Where I get mine costs about $8.20 for a 50g packet (which is a reasonable amount, because it is so light) - just to give you an idea. I tend to use one to two tablespoons full (heaped) in the toe of a stocking to a big mug of boiling water. Allow to steep until cool. Squeeze out the excess from the stocking and remove, discarding the used Calendula and making use of the remaining tea.

Good luck. Hope it works for her.

Share this post


Link to post

If its an allergic reaction would dog antihistamines work in the long run? (got some from the vet in case ours ever swallows something that stings her in the throat again).

Share this post


Link to post
If its an allergic reaction would dog antihistamines work in the long run? (got some from the vet in case ours ever swallows something that stings her in the throat again).

I'll try the calendula first and see if it improves and if not I'll take her to the vet.

I probably should get some antihitamines anyway, considering this isn't the first time she's had a rash.

Then next time I can nip it in the bud.

Share this post


Link to post

I have applied the Calendula tea to her. Now I'm crossing fingers it works.

Erny, do you know if I can use the ointment on dogs?

I bought a small tub of it from the health food store, I figured even if I couldn't use it on Honey it would be good to use for the kids too. It doesnt seem to have anything added to it.

Share this post


Link to post
I have applied the Calendula tea to her. Now I'm crossing fingers it works.

Erny, do you know if I can use the ointment on dogs?

I bought a small tub of it from the health food store, I figured even if I couldn't use it on Honey it would be good to use for the kids too. It doesnt seem to have anything added to it.

I have some of the ointment as well but admittedly I haven't used it on my dog. Mainly because the skin issue I deal with is generally hives and I want them to dry out rather than remain moist. I also think the ointment might attract and hold dirt, where the tea dries and leaves no (even remotely) greasy film. I sometimes wash my boy (as in a bath) using the Calendula (I don't use shampoos of any description) and I find his coat is left feeling and smelling clean and fresh.

But to answer your question - yes, to my knowledge you can use the ointment. I'm just not sure if it is better than the tea. What you want to do is treat the skin so that secondary skin infection doesn't occur, or is halted. I think the skin being able to dry, yet benefiting from the anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities of the tea would be better.

Just my unqualified opinion and thoughts though. :crossfingers:

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Erny, that makes sense. :crossfingers:

This morning it seemed that the rash was drying out her skin, but that may just be because it was inflamed.

I'll see how the tea goes and if the inflamation has died down and the skin is still looking dry I will try the cream overnight.

Thank you so much for your advice! :rasberry:

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0