Toilet Training

Eza

I want pup to toilet outside. Is it worth me getting puppy pads to start with or just straight into going outside to pee?

Ive never used them with my previous dogs but they were 'outside dogs' mostly with other dogs around, new pup will be on his own (no one to copy).

Edited by Eza

Wherever you can when raising a puppy start as you mean to go on. It makes life less confusing for the puppy and easier for yourself :)

You can take puppy out straight after eating, playing and sleeping and regularly inbetween. You want to set them up for success as they'll learn a lot faster.

If you keep pup on a lead it should make the process quicker as they can't wander off and get distracted. The other benefit is you're right there ready to heap on praise the moment they wee. You want them to realise weeing outside makes you sooo happy.

Through the night is a bit tricker but if you have pup in a comfy crate beside your bed for a little while you'll hear when they start to grumble and move around in the night. You can immediately take them outside (also on lead) until they wee. Minimal fuss, no playing just business done(praise) and back to bed. It won't be long before they're sleeping through the night and you can move the crate to where you want pup sleeping.

Good luck with your new pup :)

I started taking Lacey outside the day I got her... After eating , before bed and she would sleep all night . We would play with her every time she went out so she ended up loving being outside but would happily come inside too.

Some dogs are just easier to train than others.. Hopefully your new pup is a quick learner ????

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I think I wont worry about the pads.

We tried them - but they ended up being a fun thing to shred. When they were used it was very hit and miss as to if they'd be pee'd on.