Toilet Training Pads

tryamartimmy

Hi, I'm new at the whole toilet training thing as I've never had to raise a young dog by myself, so am a little unsure about the puppy training pads.

My pup will be an indoor dog, so I'll need to use the wee pads, but I don't know how long they last for, how often I need to change them etc.

Does anyone have a routine that they use (especially for a toy size dog)?

I thought the pads absorbed urine quicker/better than newspapers. Maybe I am anal, but I don't think I could live with the smell of dried urine, hence I change the pads once they have been soiled :(

The pads are much nicer than newspaper. They're more absorbent, and the moisture doesn't sit on top of the pad the way it does on newspaper. The dog/pup is more inclined to use it also b/c they're impregnated with a scent to encourage elimination on the pad. :)

I use them for Molly b/c she can't always hold it all day when we're at work. And I remove the pad as soon as I get home if she's used it. :thumbsup:

I use the pads while Angus is inside during the day - once I am home he knows he goes outside. So...I dispose of the pad everyday. They are pretty absorbent - I find the Masterpet ones the best -the other main brand I see in PetBarn does not really absorb.

A friend used to use old towels which would then get a soak and wash. Seemed to work quite well.

I'm trying o get Dante to use the pads for when I take him into the office. It's raining today so he did wee on them, however he will only want to poo in the yard LOL

I brought mine off ebay, I don't dispose of them straight away as I need the smell to stay there whist he's learning.

The infused smell they have doesn't tell the dog they have to pee there, it simply attracts them and in many cases it attracts them to rip them up LOL

Edited by sas

Haha.

So, mostly people just chuck them out daily then. (Silly question probably, but I'm used to cats whose litter gets chucked each weekend!) LOL. Got it!

MCM: If I just leave them in the house for Gaetana while I'm away at work, then expect her to do her business outside when I am home, will this confuse her? How old is Angus and how did you train him to do it this way?

Haha.

So, mostly people just chuck them out daily then. (Silly question probably, but I'm used to cats whose litter gets chucked each weekend!) LOL. Got it!

MCM: If I just leave them in the house for Gaetana while I'm away at work, then expect her to do her business outside when I am home, will this confuse her? How old is Angus and how did you train him to do it this way?

I change them once a day or if it gets really soiled I have found the best brand Masterpet House Breaking Pads

http://www.lovemypet.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=203 you can buy them here or we get them from the mega pet werehouse in Ringwood Vic

Haha.

I was told this would confuse Angus but he seems to have picked it up okay. He is 6 months old and I toilet trained him in about 5 days aged 9 weeks. I started out by placing the pad outside and taking him to it when it was toilet time (having already taught him to pee outside) and getting him to pee on it. When I needed him to start using it inside I got him to use it once outside and then brought it inside and left it for him.

Once I am home he seems to know that it is the different routine and asks to go outside if the door is closed. This happens even if I have not yet gone into the bathroom and picked up the pad.

Hope this helps.