Over Anxious Puppy

HELP

i've had a decent amount of experience raising puppies, and know what 'normal' amounts of crying are .. but my new pup is driving everyone crazy !

She cries and whines non-stop (litereally) It doesn't matter if she's got other animals for company, doesn't matter if she's in a pen, or loose .. doesn't matter if she's nursed or running around.

We've had her two days now, and if anything she's getting worse .. when she's put down she races around crying .. or will sit and look up at you crying .. but if you pick her up, she wriggles to be put down (while whining)

she whines before meals .. she whines after meals .. she cries 24/7

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do for her ...

her breeder said she was 'vocal' and let you know when she wasn't happy... and its killing me to think that she's not happy with us !!

she's been crate trained by the breeder, and was used to sleeping in a kennel situation, but spent her days in the breeders house, surrounded by plenty of things .. TV, children etc .. so id didn't think that she'd be overly stressed coming into our home environment

:p

she's in good health i think ... she's bright eye'd, normal poops ... not tucked up .. eating and drinking well ..

she's an 8 week Tenterfield ...

I just wish she'd calm down!!

we brought home 2 baby girls from my breeder last year to get to know them better before making a choice.

They were both from the same litter and were both treated exactly the same once home.

One cried and cried and cried and cried (u get the idea!) all the time - not so much when she was out running around with us and other pup and Mav but anytime she was isolated (in a crate/play pen/seperate room)

the other pup was fine never so much as a whinge just got on with the training and accepted where she was put and did as she was told!

needless to say the crying all night ended with us keeping the quiet puppy :p

well i was a lot of help wasnt i!!

It has only been 2 days i would give her a bit more time to settle and get used to a strict routine with minimum fuss..!!

I wonder if this is an instance where a calming paste may come in useful while she's adjusting.

I think vets can also prescribe/supply calmatives to help with this sort of thing, but it's definitely not a permanent fix.

Maybe speak to a behaviourist?

Friend has a 4 year old Tenterfield and he is like this all the time

They have tried everything to no avail, she has been told by the vet it is common in the breed

Not much help I know

Contact the breeder for advise

I think generalising with ANY breed is not a good idea .. i've had a large degree of involvement with Tenterfields on and off for the past 10 years, and never had an issue even approaching this one.

I think i'll see about getting a calmative.

eta - Akitaowner, I think this may be a similar case ... She's very active as well as being whiny, running everywhere at full pace, not like any 8 week old puppy i've ever seen .. not even hesitating at the steps, bounding up and down them without a pause. I think if i can channel all that energy she might be excellent at something .. but at the moment, its just driving me nuts.

Edited by Guest

Akitaowner, I was reading it earlier and found it very interesting ...

If i could get a moments peace, i may even be able to make sense of it ... lol

I've had my new puppy for just over a week. The second day in he whined non stop at anything and nothing. His whining has been decreasing since, so it might just be a case of getting used to his new home and being without his litter mates. We've been doing our best to ignore any whining - it can be hard though when I have to make sure he doesn't have to go to the bathroom if he's inside, or if it might be his meal time... he still gets whiny when he's tired and is still running around like a goose. :confused:

Generalising about any breed is not a good thing I agree

But I have found in my years of dog ownership and rescue that some breeds are prediposed to certain behavioural traits.

goodluck