Toilet Training Dilemma

Sam71

Hi all,

We have a 12 week old Choc Lab which we are having trouble toilet training, we have only had her (Sassy) a week!

The problem is that we are not really sure how to go about toilet training without confusing her!

The reason being is that my partner takes her to work with her and due to her not having her second lot of needles can't take her out the front, so she has to do her business on paper in the office. Its a new factory and the back part is a mud pit!

Our worry is that we are going to confuse her when we are training her at home!

She is a very smart pup as I tought her to sit in two or three attemps, she even stays sometimes now. She has also fetched and come when called since day one!

Cheers

Scott

Further to my first post -

She is extremely well behaved for Donna at work - with only two accidents all week, everything else was on the paper in the designated spot.

However at home, she does the majority of her business on paper but will still have random accidents nowhere near the right spots. We put her outside immediately when she has gone to the toilet, though she has access outside all day.

post-18692-1183248620_thumb.jpg

Guest Tiggy

I don't use paper as I want the pup to learn there's no toileting inside. I have a 9 week old Stafford pup who is already learning to cry when he needs to be let out.

Thanks for your reply. We're happy to adopt that policy at home, but we're concerned about confusing her as she can't yet go outside at Donna's work - so there she needs to use the paper.

However at home, she does the majority of her business on paper but will still have random accidents nowhere near the right spots. We put her outside immediately when she has gone to the toilet, though she has access outside all day.

This is probably where your problem lies.

With toilet training, you need to ensure that they don't go in the wrong spot. Essentially that means watching them like a hawk, and whisking them to the approved toilet area before they soil the wrong spot. Also, take them to the spot at strategic times - right after they wake up, right after they finish playing, and right after they eat or drink. Praise like crazy when they do the right thing and don't bring them inside until they do. Toilet training in winter is a bugger for this reason!!

Unfortunately taking her out after she's done it in the wrong area won't teach her anything, you have to help her get it right.

We've had Emma for 4 weeks now (she's 18 weeks old). I'm still not sure if she's 100% toilet trained, although she hasn't had an accident for two weeks.

Toilet training is definitely a frustrating process, but just keep being consistent, take her outside at the times when she is likely to go (after food, playing, and every 30-60 minutes otherwise) say something like "Do your business" and wait quietly without distracting her. Praise her if she goes, and repeat :mad Sure, you should do everything you can to avoid accidents, but all puppies will have the occasional accident, and I think it's important to not get too depressed or worried about it. It may take a little time, but she will get there.

This is probably where your problem lies.

With toilet training, you need to ensure that they don't go in the wrong spot. Essentially that means watching them like a hawk, and whisking them to the approved toilet area before they soil the wrong spot. Also, take them to the spot at strategic times - right after they wake up, right after they finish playing, and right after they eat or drink. Praise like crazy when they do the right thing and don't bring them inside until they do. Toilet training in winter is a bugger for this reason!!

Unfortunately taking her out after she's done it in the wrong area won't teach her anything, you have to help her get it right.

If she can't be watched like a hawk inside, perhaps put her outside during this time? The more accidents you allow to occur, the slower the process. I think this is more important than the paper vs. outside issue.

Can I ask, when your puppy is at home and you take her outside to do the toilet what kind of surface is this on? eg... grass, gravel,paving etc. How many times does your puppy go outside when at home to do the toilet? I agree with the other member, there are 4 main times when a puppy will need to go to the toilet. After Eating, After Drinking, After Play and upon waking from sleep. Toilet traing is very much about assosiation to the puppy were and were not to urinate or deficate, also the older the puppy gets it will take longer after each of the 4 main times have occured for them to do the toilet. If you can give me the info I have asked for above. I can better give you a very good assosiative toilet training routine. When your puppy is at work with your partner the same routine will apply whether you puppy goes outside or not. :thumbsup: