My Gsd Has Weepy Eyes

My GSD has weepy eyes. Best I can describe is that it is clear liquid, with little white stuff like "sleep" in humans. You know like when we wake up in the morning and we have this white stuff on our eyes.

It's not sticking to her eyelids on anything, just looks like sleep. But i am wiping it off a few times each day in the last couple of days.

Oh, i also discovered that she has ate her own poop once or twice during this time.

She is nearly 5 months. She just came back from a 4 day stay at the kennel. It was her first time. And we have also been taking her to the local footy oval for her daily walk. She's full of energy and wants to run and play.

Is she allergic to grass or something like that?

I don't know if there is anything wrong with your GSD it may just be a "phase". Nemo sometimes gets greeny "stuff" in his eyes but it passes... It could be the same as what you have with your dog, hopefully it will be just a thing that will pass with time...

Don't know if this helps.

-Nemo :o

Edited by Finding Nemo

My Shepherd "Elka" gets watery, red eyes during summer, my vet told me to bathe her eyes with tea bags as tea is a natural anti inflammatory, I found this did work for Elka and her eyes are looking good at the moment. Otherwise maybe it could be conjunctivitis, you would need to get some cream from the vet for that.

Shepmax,

Ask your Vet if it could be Pannus as our breed suffers with this problem and a lot of Vets don't pick it up......they always say infection/inflamation and start treating with anti biotic ointments etc when they shouldn't be.

One of the classic signs is the dogs suffer more in the summer than winter because the Sun agrivates it.

Thanks for that Tapferhund - Pannus sounds nasty :o I will google it in a minuet, I also had my father in laws Corgi here for a while and he ending up with one sore watery eye, the Shepherd Merlin that I fostered for a while had it in one eye as well thats what made my vet think it was maybe a plant allergy of some kind.

My mini poodle has similar symptoms, on and off, and the vet thinks it's grass allergy.

I just keep his eyes clean and am still using an old (but very clean, stored in fridge) tube of "Amacin" eye and ear ointment (contains antibiotic and steroid) which settles his eyes -use for about 2 days- if they get particularly reddish with more clear gunk than usual. I'd use this only once every few months. I'd take him to the vet if anything changed or the discharge became yellowish-green.

Thanks guys for your replies. She is a bit off her food and it just dawn on me that she is changing to her adult teeth at the moment. Do dogs suffer from "teething" problems? Is there such a thing? If so what are the symptoms?

I noticed the large breed pup was less interested in food for a few days and wanted to chew. Found a couple of "baby" teeth on the floor a couple of days later. I gave brisket bones and chicken necks/frames for outside and had a rope and nylabone type chew toys for inside.

Hi poodle wrangler, my GSD definitely wants to chew. I have soaked her dry food to make more palatable but she is still not really into it. A bit now and a bit later. Must look out for her baby teeth! My husband wants to put 2 bucks under her bed :laugh: ;)