Teething

Falling_dawn

My lad was full of whinges and whines when he was teething and seemed to need a lot of quiet time. The crate was wonderful - I'd just pop him in there like a cranky toddler and he'd have a good sleep for a few hours :rofl: Once all his permanent teeth had well and truly broken through (age probably varies between dogs but I think Zig was around 5-6 months), he improved out of sight.....the softer Nylabones were fabulous for getting him through this stage.

Teething can certainly bother some pups,

Good advice from Wyhldher about lots of chew toys and cold items just make sure the chew toys and frozen items are bigger than the dogs mouth so it cant swallow them

Dogs baby teeth will start to fall out at 4 to 5 months old. may even be later in Giant breeds of dogs. Lots of toys will also help with the temptation for the pup to use your hands as a teething toy. Oh the joys of puppy rearing... Ha Ha but don't you just love them. :o

My lad was full of whinges and whines when he was teething and seemed to need a lot of quiet time. The crate was wonderful - I'd just pop him in there like a cranky toddler and he'd have a good sleep for a few hours :o Once all his permanent teeth had well and truly broken through (age probably varies between dogs but I think Zig was around 5-6 months), he improved out of sight.....the softer Nylabones were fabulous for getting him through this stage.

Just a question with the crate.

When they go to sleep or when they get put in it are the doors usually closed?

My lad was full of whinges and whines when he was teething and seemed to need a lot of quiet time. The crate was wonderful - I'd just pop him in there like a cranky toddler and he'd have a good sleep for a few hours :) Once all his permanent teeth had well and truly broken through (age probably varies between dogs but I think Zig was around 5-6 months), he improved out of sight.....the softer Nylabones were fabulous for getting him through this stage.

Just a question with the crate.

When they go to sleep or when they get put in it are the doors usually closed?

SSS - I think most people train their dogs to have the crate door closed but I chose to leave the door off and the crate in the laundry. That way, Zig could access his water all night and use the newspaper to toilet on. It saved me from getting up in the middle of the night and worked really well for us :o

It really depends on what you want and where you have the crate during the night. If your puppy is about 11 to 12 weeks old I would be teaching it to hold on during the night. So your crate should not be to big, but big enough for it to stand up, turn around and lie down streched out. If it is to big then it will just get up and go to toilet at other end of crate. So having the door closed wont make any differance. If the crate is just the right size then having the door closed may but not always stop your pup toileting during the night. I have never used newspaper, or puppy mats to toilet train but it does work for some people.

Can we have more info on how you use your crate, when you put your pup in it, where it is during the night etc...etc.... alot of people use a combination of door open and door closed it really depends on how and when you are using it. ;)

Ours has started to lose teeth in the last few days.

I have noticed a bit of blood here and there in the mouth at times.

I am presuming this is normal?

Dogfish

Assuming that the little bit of blood you've noticed is in the gum and from a newly lost tooth, it's pretty normal! Just like your days of yonder, the afternoon before the Tooth Fairy arrived... :rofl: