Puppies Not Eating Food?

OK, so I decided to add some chicken mince (pet grade) to thier meal. I mix it in with the kibble (I took some of the kibble out - dont want them getting fat). They are loving it.....

......I am not, it has made them very gassy and its truly revolting!!! Is this because its something new? Should I persevere? God, it is soooo bad.

Also, tonight I added the tops and tails of the carrot from our dinner and the brocoli stumps very finely chopped). They seemed to like this too, I'm just sat here waiting for the gas to start again.

Has any one else experienced this? I am just being too adventurous with their diet at too young an age?

I have found chicken can make my dogs gassy too. Don't know if its worth persevering or not!

As for gravy, my dogs get a bit of gravy mixed in with their dryfood every night. Because your two are babies, I would make up a very weak batch of gravy (maybe 1tsp gravy powder to half a cup of water) and just add a bit to their biccies. Over time, you can make it a bit thicker if you want. :thumbsup:

I have found chicken can make my dogs gassy too. Don't know if its worth persevering or not!

As for gravy, my dogs get a bit of gravy mixed in with their dryfood every night. Because your two are babies, I would make up a very weak batch of gravy (maybe 1tsp gravy powder to half a cup of water) and just add a bit to their biccies. Over time, you can make it a bit thicker if you want. :p

When we first gave them chicken necks, they got a bit gassy, but after a wile it stopped. Maybe its because there is other content in the mince like the entrails?

They have started and it smells like broccoli!! OMG :):laugh:

Lou just let one go and it made a noise - he woke Andy up!!!!! :thumbsup:

ROFL!! My in-laws dog gets scared when she farts! She lets one rip and then shoots off, looking behind her like "What the hell was that?". LOL!

And when my mum's old dog farts, she looks around with this disgusted look on her face, then gets up and moves. Haha!

ROFL!! My in-laws dog gets scared when she farts! She lets one rip and then shoots off, looking behind her like "What the hell was that?". LOL!

And when my mum's old dog farts, she looks around with this disgusted look on her face, then gets up and moves. Haha!

My dad's dog would never eat brussel sprouts as he knew that they made him fart and smell really bad. He would lick every gram of gravy off them but that was it!!!

So, do I go back to just boring old kibble only diet, or keep going with the variety and the raw and veggies?

<leaves to buy gass mask>

Its up to you. How much chicken mince did you add to their food? I would try adding maybe a tbsp at a time. Do this for a few days, then gradually increase the amount. Hopefully their tummies will settle. If there is no reduction in greenhouse gases after two weeks (if you can last that long) then I would forget about it. Same with the vegies. Don't give too much or too many things at once. Start off with just carrot and only give them a few small pieces.

If you want to try the gravy, give it a week or two before you start. And again, start off with very small amounts. Slowly, slowly is the golden rule when adjusting your dogs' diets!

Its up to you. How much chicken mince did you add to their food? I would try adding maybe a tbsp at a time. Do this for a few days, then gradually increase the amount. Hopefully their tummies will settle. If there is no reduction in greenhouse gases after two weeks (if you can last that long) then I would forget about it. Same with the vegies. Don't give too much or too many things at once. Start off with just carrot and only give them a few small pieces.

If you want to try the gravy, give it a week or two before you start. And again, start off with very small amounts. Slowly, slowly is the golden rule when adjusting your dogs' diets!

They did get about a table spoon each and the veggies came to about half a cup each, mixed with 1 cup of their kibble.

I think I will leave the veggies out for a bit, (well the broccoli anyway - phew) and persevere with the chicken and maybe carrot for a few more days. I foolishly bought 10kg of the chicken - thinking they would be fine on it and really dont want to throw it away.

Puppy tummies are more easily upset, so I'd rather feed much the same thing day-in, day-out. Can still have variety within this.

Pet chicken mince can vary a lot in quality (some is very poor quality). Just add small amounts to other food until you get rid of it, I guess.

I'd use chicken necks in preference to mince (about $2.50/ kilo). As long as the labs don't try to 'inhale' the necks. If so, turkey necks are great as they're bigger (Woolworth's, about $4/ kilo).

I like a mix of raw and kibble, but people all have their different ideas. Also depends how much freezer space you have and if you don't mind handling the raw stuff.

A lot of chicken shops sell the necks in 1kg bags for $1. :) You can also buy pet mince at the butchers which may be of better quality (but similar price) to pet mince bought at a produce store.

They had some more chicken mince in their breakfast and so it seems that they are less gassy today, so i will persevere.

We have swapped to chicken wings after they just inhaled their necks, it was just to scary to watch. They get a wing mid afternoon as a snack.