Don't Know What To Do With My Girl...

My BC x is 6yrs old this year. Up until I got pregnant (and had some complications which meant I haven't been able to attend obedience) she was doing so well at obedience. She had just graduated into Class 4 (offlead stuff) and was really starting to get the hang of agility, which she loved. I am now so sore from being pregnant that I can barely walk the dogs, let alone do training with them. I know I only have a few weeks to go, but then I will have a newborn and I just don't know when I will be able to get back into it all.

But I hate seeing her "talent" go to waste. She is such a smart dog and I just know she could do so well at agility, maybe even obedience if I really practised. How old do you think is too old to be pursuing all of this? Is 6.5yrs too old to pretty much start again with agility? She is a naturally fit, working type dog but I just worry about her hurting herself or just being beyond it.

agility training is fun even if you dont get to trialing ever... obed can be done much older obviously. Whether you start now or in 6months really isnt a huge difference. As far as how old is too old - each dog is different (there may have been a thread on age earlier?? not sure) and it is definitely a thing that you will be able to tell for yourself when she has had enough of jumping. Either way I think it is worth giving a go once things settle with your baby! Dont stress about the break in training (no. 1 you will have much bigger things on you mind!) - it is amazing how fast they get back to their previous level after a long break!

Otherwise, is your OH interested in taking her to class at all? Wouldnt have to be full on training, but just enough that she doesnt get rusty?

Anyways - dont stress!

Bridget

Don't stress Kirty, your dog will let you know when she is too old. I'm sure she will enjoy every moment that you spend with her, even if you never take her to the top level. There are plenty of dogs over 7 that compete in obedience and even agility, just depends on the dogs fitness.

You will find your baby will just sleep and eat for the first 6 months, so if your OH is around, you will be looking for a little time out anyway. Good time to train your dog.

I just found out yesterday that I am going to be a dad...... again......... :rofl: :rolleyes:

Will be number 4!

Kirty I've never seen a dog pine because its talents went to waste. :rofl:

Enjoy her as a companion, you have enough on your plate for now. If you find more time to train for competion later then do what you can. Ted my oldest poodle boy got his CD aged 9. We had an older ACD girl training in agility at our club - she was assessed as fit but only jumped toy heights in training and didn't compete.

Provided she gets time with you and plenty of exercise, she'll be as happy as a pig in mud. :rolleyes:

I know I only have a few weeks to go, but then I will have a newborn and I just don't know when I will be able to get back into it all.

Congrats on the baby to be. Exciting times ahead :rolleyes: .

I had a baby just over a year ago and was able to get back into training and trialling when she was 6 months old. For the first month my dogs were basically neglected by me as i was too tired to do anything but after that everything started getting into a routine and settled down.

I now have the dogs as my "time out" and husband looks after baby so i can still do my dog stuff. I find it really good to get out with the dogs so i can feel normal again and gives my baby brain a work out :rofl: .

Just so long as your dog is fit and healthy and still keen to participate,you can take as long as you want to settle into motherhood before getting back into training.

I just found out yesterday that I am going to be a dad...... again.........

Will be number 4!

Congratulations!!! How very exciting for you !!

Just a little suggestion to help you through the next few weeks.....perhaps you could try some clicker work and shaping behaviour around the house...it's a lovely way to stimulate a busy dog's brain with no physical effort on your part. I've had a rotten cold this week so curled up on a chair with the clicker and a handful of treats, put a plastic bucket in the lounge room and then rewarded Ziggy for any interaction he had with it. It produced lots of laughs as he tried to work it out and he was happy to snooze for the rest of the afternoon - very handy for a Dal who's just hit the teen years :rofl:

Good luck and congrats on your baby :rolleyes: