How Long After Swallowing

Belijae

How long after swallowing something would it take to cause an obstruction and how long after would you consider it a non-event?

The plastic image on the front of Forge's tag has gone missing - so I'm not sure if it has been ingested or not. He is eating/drinking and going to the toilet like normal and I'm keeping an eye on him.

If nothing happens in a couple of days, would it likely be fine?

How long after swallowing something would it take to cause an obstruction and how long after would you consider it a non-event?

The plastic image on the front of Forge's tag has gone missing - so I'm not sure if it has been ingested or not. He is eating/drinking and going to the toilet like normal and I'm keeping an eye on him.

If nothing happens in a couple of days, would it likely be fine?

Hi Belijae, I know its a worry if you are not sure if the dog has swallowed something or not.

Classic signs of an obstruction can be vomiting 6 to 12 hours or so after ingesting a foreign object followed by excessive straining when trying to defecate and bloody diarrhoea. Also there are alot of things a dog will pass normally even if they have swallowed something. If any of these symptoms appear in the next 24 to 48 hours then please consult your vet.

I hope this has been of help to you.

We had a Monopoly house swallowed a while ago, I called the vet ( distraught 10 year old kids are easily calmed with a call to a vet)and they have a database for size,age, breed, object that the nurse can look up and tell you whether to come in or "watch and sort" or apply soft food diet to help it pass. It was brilliant idea.