Feeding A Raw Diet, Veges Or No Veges?

Well I was told not to feed cooked vegies on a previous thread because wild dogs do not know how to cook.

But of course they can use a food processor to mush them up.

Dogfish

Well i can tell you know little to nothing about the BARF diet.

The vegie mush is fed to the dogs to replicate the stomach contents of the prey they are eating which of course is mushed up greens. One of the few ways to replicate this, as dogs cant digest whole vegetable parts, is to use a juicer or processor.

That is right. I do not know much of the BARF diet as I have no researched it fully as yet. I see no problem with mushing up left over cooked vegies but like I said I have not looked into it.

Stomach contents of prey would of started to be broken down by the animals digestive system. This could possibly replicate cooked mush in the stomach.

Is it also possible that some members of a wild dog pack never got to eat any stomach contents because of the pecking order of the pack? If they got to eat last or near last there may not have been anything left.

Unless they had a really fair leader who divided everything up equally amongst them at the start. :thumbsup:

Dogfish

I feed my dogs meat, with approx 10 - 20% fruit and/or veges - they also get organ meats, eggs, fish, oil, cheese or yoghurt, anything left over, plus they very occasionally have rolled oats or bread or cooked brown rice, + mineral/vitamin supplement, and extras such as LSA.

Everything except the mince goes through the food processor. Vegetables have cellulose, which is difficult for dogs to digest (stomach contents would have been partially digested) and if you do not break down the cellulose, the dog cannot digest it.

They have bones 2 - 4 times a week

It is important that dogs receive amino acids and vitamins in their food, and by feeding them a varied diet, I know they are receiving these, and utilising them where necessary. Cooking destroys many vitamins.

There are quite a few diets out there ulitising raw meat and or vegetables, and bones. It's a matter of doing some research so you know what and why you are feeding what you are, and choosing one which suits you and your dog.