Introducing Pup To Older/larger Dogs

SpikesPuppy

Well, my little pup Ziva has settled in very well at home- takes everything in her stride and is very confident in herself (but not arrogant hehe, she willingly settles down when being held and loves tummy rubs etc, very easygoing in that way). She is getting along well with our 4 other dogs (of varying sizes and breeds).

I took her to the vet last night for a check up and to get her used to the vet from an early age. The people part and the vet part went extremely well, she was very happy to be 'poked and prodded' and didn't even mind her temperature being checked.

But when we were in the waiting room, with her on my lap, she gave a little growl at some other dogs (a large Sheltie and 2 Airedales). She was perfectly fine with the vet nurses' own dog, an Aussie Terrier x (similar size to a Border Terrier).

I was able to distract her quite easily with a treat though and once I told her it was okay (in a matter of fact manner, while scratching her under the chin), she met all 3 dogs (seperately of course and only after assurance they were friendly and vaccinated etc), still on my lap and she got a small treat each time she met them, it didn't take long before she was wagging her tail :thumbsup:

She only weighs 2.2kg so obviously I am wary about having her on the ground while other dogs loom over her, I am still carefully supervising her with my own Newfoundland so that he doesn't loom (even though he is a real gentle giant, I understand he could be quite frightening!!) and now she is snuggling into his fur, reaching up to 'talk' to him etc and they are both getting along very well. She plays with our other dogs but if they give her the "that's enough" rumble she squirms around on her side/back and tries to lick the other dogs mouth. Of course as soon as they relax she goes straight back in for 'the kill' :rolleyes: I remove her or distract her before she gets too annoying though.

I intend to enrol her in puppy school soon, and will be showing her in a month as well, so she will have plenty of social opportunities but naturally I want to make the most of now and avoid any bad habits forming.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on a)how to prevent growling and b)what I should do to keep her safe (from accidental trampling etc) but avoid her thinking because she is higher up she is 'top dog'??

My pup is also 2.2kgs! He met his first big dog the other day - a border collie. We were taking a walk and met the other dog and thier owner. Both he and the other dog were on leash, so we could control the meeting so we could tug them away if they got rough.

So i'm thinking if your pup is on lead you might feel a bit better about your pup being around bigger dogs?

I think the pup definitely needs to be on the same level as other dogs. If it's a small dog, it's always going to be smaller so it may as well get used to that idea :D