Mind Games For Dogs

On another topic, i would like to input as to mind games that are good for puppy.

given that maiya is turning into a 16month old nearing 2ish, i want to know of the more mind using/stimulating games or things you can do for your dog both on its own and together.

to give you a small idea, i unfortunately work afternoon's evenings, so my time is in the morning till lunch with maiya. i am doing trick training with her and although i woud prefer 3 short sessions a day, most of the time we only get 1 in and a walk with training, so sort of 2.

as for her being on her own, i have a small puzzle treat ball which i am sure you are all aware of. and i show her a bone and make her watch me make it hard to get, but are there other things that i can do for her/with her when she is alone and not that are games that make her think, that stimulate her to use her brain rather than just stuff like fetch, which she loves but hey, how hard is it to pickup a duck and bring it back.

i know of games like hide and seek tug, but any other input would be good!!

thakns

bret

Me again! :love:

Some stuff I do for my dogs:

- filling a kong with peanut butter and dry dog food/bickies (takes a while to get all that sticky stuff out)

- I use the (cut off) legs of old jeans as toys and put a good smelling dog bickie in it an tie it

- You can pack a parcel for your dog using a carton and loads of old newspaper (most dogs love to produce a mess :vomit:) and fill some treats inbetween so your dog needs to search for them.

- You can hide treats for her in the whole house and she can look for them while you are away

Cheers, Anissa

but are there other things that i can do for her/with her when she is alone and not that are games that make her think, that stimulate her to use her brain rather than just stuff like fetch, which she loves but hey, how hard is it to pickup a duck and bring it back.

Retrieving becomes much harder if you teach your dog the name of different items (duck, ball, tug, etc) and then ask her to bring the correct one back from a pile of things. I've only managed to teach my dog the names of a few items, but a smart dog like a border collie could probably learn more. :love:

Like Anissa, I hide treats in the house and send my dog to find them. If your dog has a good nose, you could teach her to find less smelly things too (your keys, your wallet, useful stuff!)

Heeling is fun too (really, it is!) In winter I spend a lot of time doodling in the living room - doodling is just heeling in a really small space, doing maybe a step forward, a few steps sideways, a small figure eight, pivoting on the spot with the dog, heeling backwards a few steps - really requires the dog to focus and wears them out. Dog loves it as he gets constantly reinforced with clicker and food.

Heeling is fun too (really, it is!) In winter I spend a lot of time doodling in the living room - doodling is just heeling in a really small space, doing maybe a step forward, a few steps sideways, a small figure eight, pivoting on the spot with the dog, heeling backwards a few steps - really requires the dog to focus and wears them out. Dog loves it as he gets constantly reinforced with clicker and food.

Great idea, I've never thought of that before! :love: