Training Dog To Use Cat/dog Door

I recently adopted a smallish dog from the pound that was due to be PTS. He is very cute and I think, a cross terrier/mini poodle.

He is 1/2 yrs old according to the vet, and is a great little dog, and just wants to please.

I would say he was an impulse buy from a pet shop, you know the 'oodle' pups that are in all the shopping centre pet shops :rofl:

His previous owners did nothing in the way of training, :thumbsup: so I have had to start from scratch on everything.

I have a cat already, and she has her own cat door that she uses during the day, and then it is locked at night so she stays inside. She learned how to use this very quickly, but then she can also sit and shake hands - a very clever cat. :thumbsup:

Now I am trying to teach my pup to use the door so he can go outside for his toilet, when I am away during the day. He almost seems afraid of it. It has a perspex flap that can be open both ways or locked in either direction.

He is slightly larger that the cat, so the door is a good size, he has no problems getting through). The perspex flap does not flap around as it has a firmness when in position as it sort of sits in place. This is no problem at all for my cat, and its not hard for her to open at all.

I have smeared food onto the perspex flap, but because the flap does not flap freely when in its down position, if you know what I mean, he can lick the food off and it will stay down covering the entrance. (he's a gentle licker).

I have propped the flap open so it is just an opening, but even though I have tempted him with food treats, he will stick his head through (just) but will then back away. Its like he is afraid of it. :mad

I don't know what to do, :rofl: so if anyone has any suggestions I would be very happy.

Oh.....and the cat and dog are settling in well together, the cat still gets her priviliges (she sleeps on the bed), they sniff each other etc, she hisses at him if he gets out of line, so its not like he is scared of her or the other way round.

Nell, does the Dog object to the Door from both sides?

I would try a few different approaches till you get the result your after.

Find a food treat that really motivates him,prop the flap up and lay a trail towards the Door.Gradually run the food trail further so that eventually the food trail continues,through the Door and outside.

Use a Coacher.Find or use a Freinds small dog that will freely walk through the Door.Have both Dogs inside and encourage them to play and carry on.Then have the other Dogs Owner put their Dog through the Door.

Another way would be to use Clicker Training.Firstly get the Dog to link a Click to a reward.Put him on a lead and walk to the Door.Encourage him to even slightly put his head in the Door.When he does click and reward immeditately.Then start asking for more and click and reward as he progresses further through the Door.once he is fine with this,you can run the Lead through the Door and position yourself on the outside,call him and reward him when he moves further through.Build it up in stages till he walks right through the Door.whilst your at this Stage the Flap is still propped up and out of the way.

When he is walking through the Door comfortably then its time to teach him to push on the flap.Take to to the Door and reward any contact he makes with the Flap graduating from a touch to a push.

You could also make up a piece of Timber with a Hole the same size as the Door in it.This Piece of Timber would be on a flat base for stability.This Mock Door could be easily set up anywhere and would be a great practise tool.You could use this mock Door with rewards as a lead up to the real Door. tony

when we were teaching our cocker spaniel,she was 2 yrs old by the time we started,she was very scared at first and didnt want anything to do with it.we kept trying to get her to go "out" the flap but that didnt work so we had her come back "in "through the flap.the husband gently pushed her head onto the door,as they use there head,and I was inside with a treat.it took about 3 goes and she had it down pat.But still 1 year on if she has a chance she comes in through the door when we come in.I wouldnt say dogs get to like the door they just learn how to use it when they have to.

Thanks for your suggestions, my neighbours don't have dogs the same small size, so I've just finished a round of trying to get the dog to go through the door with my cat demonstrating how easy it is. She did it half a dozen times and my dog is still scared of the door for some reason. I have the flap latched open so he doesn't have to push any flap, but still he backs away. My cat was probably thinking - what a dumbo, and she wants me to share my door with him. :thumbsup:

I did try gently pushing him through but he put both front feet on either side of the hole and would not budge, and then got quite scared and very submissive and thought I was trying to hurt him or something.

Maybe he had a terrible experience with a cat door in his previous life, but surely he can see the cat is going through and no harm is coming to her.

Who said dogs are smarter than cats :thumbsup:

Perhaps your dog got a bop on the head from a dog door sometime in his past.

We've had a dog door for years and I've had no problems getting a dog to use them until I got Leah. She was 8 weeks old when I got her. The first day she was here, Bob my other dog ran out the dog door, of course she followed, I wasn't quick enough and she got hit in the head with the flap.

3 months later I am still trying to get her to use the door to go out. She will come in the door if I leave her outside, but won't go out as she was hit from that direction. Even the fact that Bob and the cat use the door, she's still scared. Hopefully one day with my continued perserverence she'll get over it.

I have never trained a dog to use a door but have taught a few to do jumps and tunnels. The owners often say that their dog won't like it but ususally they are doing it within 10 minutes.

Don't try to push your dog through the door. It only makes it a bad experience they don't want to repeat.

It helps if you are able to call your dog reliably, even if it you have to have food in your hand.

Play with the dog first having them come to you reguarly for a reward. When they are well into the game of come for a reward and excited about it, go onto the next stage.

Have someone hold the dog near the door while you call them from the other side. If they refuse to come despite all coaxing, ignore them and leave them alone for at least 10 minutes. (No reward for not coming) You can repeat the cycle immediately but I would give it more time so that you can build their excitement again to maximum levels.

Unless they have had a very bad experience in the past, most dogs learn to take jumps and go through hoops and tunnels quite happily.

Edited by stephenb