Puppies First Show

Hi

I have two 13 week old GSD's. Max and Molly. The breeder advised that the male could have potential to show, so when they sold him to me it was on the understanding that he could be shown if he was of standard.

The breeder has advised that they want to show him on 1st Sept, but didn't know what the costs were.

I am happy for him to be shown and to take part myself if I can, but I was just wondering, how much do shows cost and would it be down to me as the owner to pay for the shows or the breeder. If he wins shows do I as the owner get any recognition, whats sort of prizes do they get, and who keep the prizes the owner or the breeder.

What happens if the breeder wants him to enter a show but it isn't convenient for us or we have other plans.

I get on well with the breeder but just want others view on how this relationship between owner and breeder should be.

Thanks

I think it's different for everyone, so here's what we did. We wanted a pet puppy but our boy turned out to be something the breeder feels is worth showing so with their assistance and guidance we have started showing him. My OH and I are total novices at this. Initally our breeder entered and paid the entry fee as this is what we discussed when talking about showing him. Our arrangements are quite clear, we now discuss what shows are coming up and what to enter, our breeder handles on the day and we do most of the training, pay for show entries etc. and we can enter other shows for our own practice if we want to. We feel very comfortable with the arrangement but only as we have kept clear communication throughout.

Cheers, Heidley

Edited by Heidley

Guest Dianne
Hi

I have two 13 week old GSD's. Max and Molly. The breeder advised that the male could have potential to show, so when they sold him to me it was on the understanding that he could be shown if he was of standard.

The breeder has advised that they want to show him on 1st Sept, but didn't know what the costs were.

I am happy for him to be shown and to take part myself if I can, but I was just wondering, how much do shows cost and would it be down to me as the owner to pay for the shows or the breeder. If he wins shows do I as the owner get any recognition, whats sort of prizes do they get, and who keep the prizes the owner or the breeder.

What happens if the breeder wants him to enter a show but it isn't convenient for us or we have other plans.

I get on well with the breeder but just want others view on how this relationship between owner and breeder should be.

Thanks

I would be clarifying the arrangement soon.

If you have purchased the puppy with no endorsements or agreements, and you are not willing or able on any given day to have him shown, then this is entirely up to you as the owner.

If the owner wants him shown, then are they paying? If you wish to show him then get some education from your breeder or the local training/kennel Club near you.

As I said, we do not know what went on in your purchasing agreement, but as you have a good relationship [as it should be] with your breeder then please get it all cleared up to your satisfaction.

have fun and cheers,

Dianne

An entry in all breeds show is aprox $10. (more for specialties)The prices that the dog wins (if any, and there are very few to be won) are not worth much money, maybe $20 or so. You also get ribbons, except a sentimental memento value they are of no monetary value.

I would be discussing each of your questions with the breeder, agreeing to something and having this in writing. Seen way to many disagreements about showing dogs.