Niping

CattleDogs4me

He is doing just what he was bred to do, but it does become annoying and can be dangerous, so you need to get on top of it while he is young.

I had a working breed that did the same thing, he was older when I got him, and although I never fully got him out of the habit, I think I could have if I had him younger. With mine, I would give a loud 'uh uh' everytime he nippped and straight away with no delay (which is easy because it can hurt) I would get him to look at me while we walked (I held a treat so he could see it up near my face) when he walked a certain distance looking at me I gave him the treat and praised him.

After a while he did stop nipping and would happily trot along beside me looking at me expecting his treat. He only ever nipped again when he got really excited!!!

Others might have better more 'technical & experienced' advice but this worked for me. You have to be consistent though and not let him get away with nipping, and give him an alternative.

Yep, good old working dog !!!!

You need to first of all understand why they do this. As far as I know, it is to get you moving, or if a trained working dog, to get you moving in a certain direction.

Personally, if it was me, I would stop every time I was nipped, and once the dog settled, start walking again.

You could also try what shellbyville said and try and redirect the nipping into a more desired behaviour.

Please post this is the Training forum, and I'm sure you will get some good training methods on how to stop this.

Good luck