Ears Curling Backwards

deltron

One of Charlie's ears has decided to flop backwards.

We flip it forward and sometimes 'massage' the ear (kind of gently roll it forward on itself) but it still flicks itself back. The bend is about 2cm below the tip. His other ear is fine, It's pointy and slightly bent at the tip.

Is this some wierd ear stage all dogs go through, and does it correct itself?

He looks like such a dill at the moment :cool: .

Edited by deltron

Is Charlie a puppy? If so ears can go through some weird stages during teething and some people like to tape the dogs ears. Did Charlie come from a Registered Breeder you could check with?

Is Charlie a puppy? If so ears can go through some weird stages during teething and some people like to tape the dogs ears. Did Charlie come from a Registered Breeder you could check with?

Hi Sas, yep he's a puppy, he's 16 weeks. He's not teething yet. Yep, he came from a registered breeder.

She's away until the end of September so I can't check with her.

Can taping hurt the ears? His ears are so thin and fragile i'd hate to do them any damage.

Oh, and now his other ear is doing the same thing.

Aaww cute!

I probably would be careful of massaging the ears near the tips etc as i've been told that can make them soft. Give the pup lots of stuff to chew inclluding bones etc (chook necks, wings etc) as this will build the strength at the base of the ear and go from there.

However...ears to tend to be all over the place, especially coming up to and during teething...lol - but again...keep the pup chewing stuff throughout that period as well :laugh:

I wouldn't be too concerned right now, should be safe to wait until your breeder comes back. Dante's ears have done all sorts of weird things and on advice from our breeder, we're just leaving them be for now.

Will you be showing him later on?

I have a boy with the most bizarre ears - he is an ex racing greyhound -

I love them though, they give him character and he will never be shown so I am not worried

tried to add a photo but can't get it to load..... damn technology

Edited by greychicken