Chewing The House And More

cockerluv

There are various chew deterrants on the market you could try, such as this one http://www.muttropolis.com/products2.cfm/I...Deterrent-Spray , try googling "chew deterrants" but considering the area is so large, a temporay physical barrier might be better. I used to use the plastic fence type material around the areas he used to chew the most, and I put chicken wire over the holes and held it in place with stakes etc, but he would just find a new spot to dig.

Have you tried a sandpit with buried goodies for the digging? And I gather he has toys to chew such as Kongs and the like?

Had a look at the site. Was thinking along the line of things like that. Have limited her to not accessing the back door at night (removalbe barrier) as I'm sure she is chewing more to get in with me at night. She has lots of toys, food reward and also chew and loves to play ball (i'd say we do that 4 times a day) Loves the sandpit, but just thinking it has been waiting for a load of sand for about three weeks and her digging has been worse over the last few weeks. Would hide her toys in the sandpit in the morning for her to dig out all day.

With undesirable behaviours, you have two choices.. to try to extinguish it or to channel it into other directions.

Personally, with an adolescent gundog (regardless of breed) I don't think a walk every second day is enough. I think this dog is understimulated both mentally and physically. If you walk her every day or even twice a day (even 5 minutes outside the yard is better than nothing) you should see a decline.

I'd also be looking to engage that very capable Cocker brain in some kind of training.. have you thought about joining a dog club. Both she and you will benefit from the process of learning new behaviours.

I'd also be trying her out on chewable toys or bones.. better than than the woodwork.

If you remember that a tired dog is a good dog, I think you may be able to manage this at least until she's a bit older.

She is an active little girl and I do walk her most days, but don't if it is raining or bad weather (so thought I should put in every second day as sometimes it can be that) She has lots of chew toys and also play toys that she plays with all day. Will look at getting into a club with her as she and myself would love it. Speaking of a tired dog, we have just came back from out walk (a big one) and she is flaked out, sound asleep snorring.

She is groomed daily and walked every second day. Ghe spends the days in the backyard and then comes into the house for about one hour each night, then easly :) goes out for her dinner.

Thanks

she tends to do these things when im inside.
I do feel she misses me as this is the nature of a cocker. Would like to think it is puppy behaviour over any serious problems at this stage, but will keep that in mind.

Why not have this pup inside with you when you are home. It seems she needs your company rather than being outside 23 hours a day. It also sounds as though she requires more exercise.

She is probably chewing due to teething and perhaps some boredom.

She is groomed daily and walked every second day. Ghe spends the days in the backyard and then comes into the house for about one hour each night, then easly :) goes out for her dinner.

Thanks

she tends to do these things when im inside.
I do feel she misses me as this is the nature of a cocker. Would like to think it is puppy behaviour over any serious problems at this stage, but will keep that in mind.

Why not have this pup inside with you when you are home. It seems she needs your company rather than being outside 23 hours a day. It also sounds as though she requires more exercise.

She is probably chewing due to teething and perhaps some boredom.

Will have her inside more through the day when she isn't destroying everything in sight. I do have her in for some parts of the day sometimes, but have to watch her as she will chew and eat everything and everything.

I do feel she is happy in the yard as there is no fight at the door to get in once we have been out in the yard and come back into the house.

I did say i walked her every second day as I don't walk in the rain or bad weather. she is walked most days and groomed and played with everyday.