Any Horse Trainers On Dol?

BJean

For the pulling back, I've recently come across this gadget, which makes sense to me. I've made a couple out of an old bit that I wasn't using (which I expect is what it was developed from). Baling twine isn't much good for a puller, as it just teaches the horse that it can easily be successful at releasing itself.

Blocker tie ring - there are videos on the site - click through the links. You can also google for more info. I saw some in a Saddleworld not long ago.

Edited by sidoney

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if this would work on your guy because he is so big, but with the feet picking up thing, the method I use wth my babies requires a stirrup leather. (This is for babies that fight the initial methods, most learn really quickly but you get the odd one that thinks you are trying to kill them!) You pop the stirrup leather around the fetlock and and through the buckle to kind of make a noose, then strap the leg up around the knee. I have a sand roundyard with solid rubber walls that I use for this, and you do everything slowly and calmly, it is not a disciplinary thing, it should be a training thing. Once the leg is up, ask gently for a few forward steps. They quickly realise they can't put the leg down and they stand quietly. Once they have figured it out with the front legs, they usually don't stress about the back legs. This is also really good if you have a horse that is nervous as you can handle them all over. I hate it when they learn to pull their legs out of your hands and dive them to the ground, so I start early with the babies, and have used this method, and it doesn't stress them and seems to work quite well.