Intergrating New Puppy With Existing Dog

Turbo

Hi All,

Im seeking advice on how the best way to integrate out 2 month old Siberian with our 11 year old German Shepherd. Our Shepherd has a really easy going personality and was brought up with having another dog in the house but has been living solo for the past 5 years. When we take her for walks she seems fine with bigger dogs but seems to have a fear of small dogs.

I have started the process - going out to the Shepherd after cuddling pup so shepherd can smell the pup on me. Introducing them through the door (shepherd did snap at pup through the door but have feeling that was because pup was standing a little too close to food bowl). Leashing the Shepherd going out to the garden and letting her sniif the pup and then when she looks a little agitated walking her away for a while and coming back and repeating the process.

Finally today i can let them both off the leash - Pup has no interest in the Shepherd he just wanders off and does his own thing - he has no interest in the cat either. I thought he would be pestering her to play and getting on her nerves but he's actually not a real excitable dog.

So this isn't really about the pup i guess ..... its more about my German Shepherd as she has been a little unpredictable so im wondering if there are any pointers that can be given so i can trust her and the puppy to share the backyard happily together.

One moment she's in the "come play with me" position - jumping around yapping at pup to chase her and the next moment he's playing with a fly and she's randomly come up to him and snapped at him.

Hi All,

Im seeking advice on how the best way to integrate out 2 month old Siberian with our 11 year old German Shepherd. Our Shepherd has a really easy going personality and was brought up with having another dog in the house but has been living solo for the past 5 years. When we take her for walks she seems fine with bigger dogs but seems to have a fear of small dogs.

I have started the process - going out to the Shepherd after cuddling pup so shepherd can smell the pup on me. Introducing them through the door (shepherd did snap at pup through the door but have feeling that was because pup was standing a little too close to food bowl). Leashing the Shepherd going out to the garden and letting her sniif the pup and then when she looks a little agitated walking her away for a while and coming back and repeating the process.

Finally today i can let them both off the leash - Pup has no interest in the Shepherd he just wanders off and does his own thing - he has no interest in the cat either. I thought he would be pestering her to play and getting on her nerves but he's actually not a real excitable dog.

So this isn't really about the pup i guess ..... its more about my German Shepherd as she has been a little unpredictable so im wondering if there are any pointers that can be given so i can trust her and the puppy to share the backyard happily together.

One moment she's in the "come play with me" position - jumping around yapping at pup to chase her and the next moment he's playing with a fly and she's randomly come up to him and snapped at him.

Walk them together when you can start walking the little one. Dogs as a pack walk so to establish the pack get them to take walk with you. Your german sheppard is a senior citizen so there will be probably never be much playing of them together. Senior dogs do not educate puppies, adult ones do. look up my favourite website for all dog and puppy questions you may have. I started following these techniques and my life has changed! www.cesarmillaninc.com

Have fun with your puppy

Thanks Kirby - Ive seen Cesars show a few times. I think ive pretty much got the respect of both dogs especially the Shepherd - any disagreeances can be stopped with one huge "OI" from me and it goes no further.

Im wondering if i should take away the two things the Shepherd is territorial about such as the food bowl and bed if i leave them alone together or will this make things worse as the shepherd will start to resent puppy. I'd only do it when i couldn't supervise.

Thanks Kirby - Ive seen Cesars show a few times. I think ive pretty much got the respect of both dogs especially the Shepherd - any disagreeances can be stopped with one huge "OI" from me and it goes no further.

Im wondering if i should take away the two things the Shepherd is territorial about such as the food bowl and bed if i leave them alone together or will this make things worse as the shepherd will start to resent puppy. I'd only do it when i couldn't supervise.

Now from my understanding and seeing what my dogs did with other dogs going into their territory the one that should be corrected is the puppy and not the shepherd. The Shepherd is above the puppy in the social order and once he sees that you correct the puppy about lying on his bed or eating his food the world should be the way it should be in the older dogs eyes. The more you correct the shepherd about him correcting the puppy the more his world be out of whack and the more aggressive he will get towards the pup. I would also think that any issues will be settled quite quickly or will not arise when you are not around. I know it is hard, because our natural instinct is to protect the little one, but if the shepherd gives the pup a nip it is probably for something the young one initiated. Removing the bone of contesion is probably not a bad idea so conflicts cannot arise. Maybe not necessarily his bed, but food bowls are easily put away. check out this blog that sort of relates to your question as well. http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/column/20061106a.php

German Shepherd sunk teeth into puppy tonight :laugh:

Food bowl is always put away when they are together and i always tell the puppy no and immediately remove him from the shepherds bed. The Nip occured in a space where there was no 'territory' as such. The Shepherd also had a go at pup while he was under the table trying to get away from the Shepherd. I say its a jealousy thing. It will be interesting to see what happens when my fiancee gets home (he works away) on wednesday as the Shepherd is his dog and she regards him as leader.

Luckily the puppy hasn't required stitches.