Arthritis In The Spine

zamarie

Hi, this is my first post here so I hope that I'm not asking about a topic that has been done to death (I did try and search for information).

I have two standard poodles, and the oldest one is a 12yo large (29kg) male. On his walks he occasionally slips with his hind legs. I mentioned this to the vet at his last annual vaccination who tested his knuckle(?) reflexes in his hind legs, said that they were slow and that he probably has early stages of arthritis in his spine. He said that they have best success with coirtosone injections into the spine, but that they would want it to be more severe before going to this extreme.

After investigating arthritis supplements for dogs, I'm wondering what people have had the most success with - Joint Guard/Cosequin/ etc. The dog is otherwise happy and healthy and very energetic, this is the first I've seen of any sign of him ageing.

post-20894-1190791928_thumb.jpg

I would certainly start with joint supplements, however I would also consider adding in an omega oil supplement as well.

Glucosamine etc will help with joint function in general but the regions that spinal arthritis / spondylosis occur are not typical joints - although it is certainly a good idea to support all the other joints. Often some kind of anti-inflammatory effect is needed to help with the neurological effects that you're seeing with the reduced proprioception (knowing where the body / limbs are in space). Omega oils and MSM are a good start.