Help Teeth Advise Needed Please (updated)

Ok so i come home, the insides of pillows spread all over the house, tree branches chewed everywhere. So i start cleaning up muttering under my breath this is the last time i give Roxy the chance to stay inside and wow i pick up a canine tooth. Have a better look around and there is blood spots around. Now i have dealt with this in pups before but Roxy is older.

Now when Roxy came to me the vet estimated her age at just over a year. Is this to old to be losing a tooth? Especially a canine? Will it grow back?

Any advice would be wonderful please :laugh:

Edited by Kingsleychi

if she is over 5-6 mths it would most likely be an adult tooth unless she had a retained baby tooth

how big is the tooth? does it seem smaller than her other canine

if it is an adult tooth it will not grow back but dogs can live very well without them we had one break last week and had to have the rest removed surgically and two days after op you would never knew she had just had a tooth removed(wish i came back that quickly after a dentist visit lol)

usually the canines are the first to establish themselves so i'd say that i don't think it will grow back. With chis they are a breed unfortunately that lose teeth early on, from about 4 years old onwards they start to lose teeth. but 1 year old is a bit young./ i've never had that but then some dogs take longer than others to grow in their permanent teeth so it could still be a baby tooth. I once had an 18 mth old bitch that had two rows of teeth until that age so had the baby teeth and the permanents. can't really be sure not unless i see it myself.

hope this helps

Louisa

I'm a vet nurse and I reccomend that you take your dog to a vet to make sure the pulp is not exposed as this will cause a emmence amount of pain.

The canine tooth has a very large root and this will need to be removed or you will get and infection which can spread in the jaw causing it to breakdown and result in more teeth needing to be removed.

Either way your dog IS in pain.

K Bit of an update, Roxy went to the vet and turns out it was a baby tooth. No root involved, which is actually a bit of a worry as this makes her younger than what i first expected.

What's the oldest anyone has had a baby tooth come out?

With chis they are a breed unfortunately that lose teeth early on

san rita Roxy is actually a Ridgeback X Mastiff......she came into rescue 6 months ago heavily pregnant and i fell in love so she never left.

Edited by Kingsleychi

:wink: hi - that bit of info, well some of it can apply to other bigger breeds, i myself own a pointer cross kelpie cross "who knows" :dropjaw: and my family have owned not only toy dogs of various breeds (exhibition) also farm dogs of various breeds usually mixed, racing greyhounds etc. etc. for over 50 years.