Some More Questions On Pups

Klattsy

Hi All!

I finally posted pictures in the bubba thread of our pups, Charlie & Jezy. They have been getting better behaved and more responsive over the past 4 weeks and am getting quite pleased with them!

Toilet Training - is going well, no accidents inside, none when we get up in the morning and 90% of the time they go when we take them out during the night. In fact we only get up once now! Persistance pays off everyone! My question however, is that for nigh time in the laundry we put newspaper under puppy pads (they used to miss the pads). We are still doing this, "just in case" but now when there is nothing on them, they start to tear it up and claw at it always around about 5 in the morning. This means that not only is there a mess in there each day but we are also woken up between 5:20 and 5:50 everymorning.

Sleeping - Is there any way to convince them to sleep later? We try to tire them out as much as possible during the night and then wake them for toilet at about 2:30. We also blocked out the window in the laundry so it is always dark, but they keep getting fidgity and whimpering/clawing at 5:30...???

Fighting - this is still an issue and Charlie is getting scabs on his neck from where Jezy is grabbing and pulling him. Should I start to be concered now? We rouss at them and they stop now. Before they just kept going. Charlie seems to start alot of it, which tells me he wants to play (he often on his back) but all it takes is Jezy to snap at him and get his neck and he's crying out. Will they grow out of this?

Food - My dogs eat dirt. When they go out the front for toilet they dig in the dirt and eat little dirt piles. It drives me crazy because we feed them beutiful home cooked food (veg & meat & rice) morning & night and leave dog biscuts (Optimum) while we work yet they still eat disgusting dirt!!!

EDIT - Also, just noted that an ad up the top of DOL said "no corn" in their food...we put corn as part of their veg, is this bad!?

Preschool - Our preschool teacher last night told us that we need to allow one of the dogs to become the authoritive of the two. Obviously it will be Jezy because she is stronger, taller, faster ect (Bionic Dog?). To this end we need to feed her first, pay more attention ect? Can this be correct? We love both pups equally and would hate for Jezy to be eating while Charlie doesn't...

Thanks again!

Mark.

Edited by Klattsy

OK, I may have been a bit skittish and blabbering in that initial post. I have summerized my questions below if anyone can help!

1. What's the best way to train dogs to sleep later?

2. Is there anything I can hang on doors to stop them jumping up and clawing (inside and outside doors)?

3. Any way to stop dogs eating dirt? We constantly push them away but they always go for it! Even straight after meals.

4. Is corn off the cob (boiled then mixed in) bad for dogs?

5. Do we need to train one dog to be more dominant than the other?

6. The "come" command doesn't work without rewards for Charlie (the cocker male) any hints?

Thanks again everyone!

Mark.

OK, I may have been a bit skittish and blabbering in that initial post. I have summerized my questions below if anyone can help!

1. What's the best way to train dogs to sleep later?

2. Is there anything I can hang on doors to stop them jumping up and clawing (inside and outside doors)?

3. Any way to stop dogs eating dirt? We constantly push them away but they always go for it! Even straight after meals.

4. Is corn off the cob (boiled then mixed in) bad for dogs?

5. Do we need to train one dog to be more dominant than the other?

6. The "come" command doesn't work without rewards for Charlie (the cocker male) any hints?

Thanks again everyone!

Mark.

1. No idea. I trained a cat to stop meowing at 6AM at a bedroom window by ignoring it for about a month. I cuddled the cat and cared for it, but am not a cat fan, so it wasn't hard for me to do. Owners were very happy and wondered how I did it.

2. Indoors- train them to sit. Outdoors- tough one- mine only do it rarely as they know to sit if they want to be let in.

3. Let them eat dirt. Won't do any harm. Giving them attention for doing it may reinforce the behaviour. If you really hate it, don't allow them access to areas where they can do it.

4. Corn isn't very digestible for dogs. I know it passes thru unchanged if my dogs eat it (can see it in the poo).

5. No. Dogs are best left to sort this out for themselves. I'm careful not to play favourites with our dogs.

6. Do you ever make "come" an unpleasant experience e.g. say come (from playing) and clip his lead back on?

Keep practising "come" with treats until he's 100% WITH treats? Then add distractions (still with treats).

Then intermittently reward with treats. Never say come and 'punish' the dog. Try to look from the dog's point of view as to whether or not what you're doing is 'punishment'.

1. No idea. I trained a cat to stop meowing at 6AM at a bedroom window by ignoring it for about a month. I cuddled the cat and cared for it, but am not a cat fan, so it wasn't hard for me to do. Owners were very happy and wondered how I did it.

2. Indoors- train them to sit. Outdoors- tough one- mine only do it rarely as they know to sit if they want to be let in.

3. Let them eat dirt. Won't do any harm. Giving them attention for doing it may reinforce the behaviour. If you really hate it, don't allow them access to areas where they can do it.

4. Corn isn't very digestible for dogs. I know it passes thru unchanged if my dogs eat it (can see it in the poo).

5. No. Dogs are best left to sort this out for themselves. I'm careful not to play favourites with our dogs.

6. Do you ever make "come" an unpleasant experience e.g. say come (from playing) and clip his lead back on?

Keep practising "come" with treats until he's 100% WITH treats? Then add distractions (still with treats).

Then intermittently reward with treats. Never say come and 'punish' the dog. Try to look from the dog's point of view as to whether or not what you're doing is 'punishment'.

Thanks for your help.

Didn't know that about corn and dirt...what a diet!

Re 5 - I thought so. We don't play favorites and would never want to but pre-school lady said we should...I wasn't going to argue, it made theoretical sence I guess.

Re 6- Come is never bad. We only use it when they are outside and getting to far from the house we call "come come". It works ok when we couple it with crazy running motions but even still its not sunk in. We did the motions and treats for about 3-4 weeks and thought they had it but they have been getting very distracted outside and don't pay attention to us.

Thanks again!

Mark.