Satin Balls

BJ.

I have the recipie here for satin balls and before I make them up was just wondering if they will be suitable to fatten up a senior. Barney is a 13 year old small terrier of some description, he never sits still but is not a big eater as he is always too busy to stop. I had him at the vets last week for a general check up, they checked liver, kidney function, heart etc all is good but they want a little more weight on him. He only weighs 3.8 kilos and was 4.2 a year ago. He gets raw chicken wings, roast vegies and is supplemented with Pro plan for seniors (which I think is low fat so probably not what he needs). Do you think Satin balls would be too fatty for his system? I don't want to give him pancreatitus.

It can be quite normal for older dogs to lose a little weight. Your dog's teeth were OK, too?

I'd switch the Pro plan for a plain adult variety or even if there's one for working dogs and see how that goes.

I think it's bad to fatten up a dog quickly, especially if not malnourished. No rush- he's otherwise healthy :rolleyes:. It may be that others would consider his weight normal.

There was a thread recently about body scoring dogs (weight)- http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;hl=body+score.

Basically some vets are so used to seeing overweight and obese pets, that they suggest a bit too heavy weight.

Can you post a pic?

Going by the body + score chart Barney would be classified as very thin. You can clearly see his last two ribs and he is hour glass shape from the top. His teeth aren't great but they are all there and still ok, the vet suggested if he needed a general for something else then he would do his teeth as well but they aren't bad enough to have him put under just for a dental.