A Question About Understanding Drives

huski

Hi Everyone

I have been reading about drive training and understanding drive.

I am curious - I wouldn't say Daisy has a high prey drive, play drive or food drive - she is driven by scent.

At training I use food as a reward, but even if the food is high value it won't work every time - for example if we are in a new place, she is still driven by the urge to smell rather than any interest in food.

From memory there is a drive training thread but I have searched for it and can't find it :)

How can I train her in drive? I really want to get her focus improved, as whilst it is ok at obed training it is not great all the time and it certainly isn't there when we go to new places.

I hope this makes sense.

Edited by husky87

Hi Everyone

I am curious - I wouldn't say Daisy has a high prey drive, play drive or food drive - she is driven by scent.

At training I use food as a reward, but even if the food is high value it won't work every time - for example if we are in a new place, she is still driven by the urge to smell rather than any interest in food.

From memory there is a drive training thread but I have searched for it and can't find it :)

K9: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...5&hl=drives

How can I train her in drive? I really want to get her focus improved, as whilst it is ok at obed training it is not great all the time and it certainly isn't there when we go to new places.

I hope this makes sense.

K9: It sounds like your dog has already found a way to gain drive satisfaction, scenting, this means as you try & interupt that, you become part of the problem not part of the solution (drive satisfaction), yeah?

I like to teach dogs that "scent work is the way you earn your rewards" not that it is rewarding all on its own... Does that make sense? (or scents? lol)

Hi Everyone

K9: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...5&hl=drives

Ta steve :rofl:

I hope this makes sense.

K9: It sounds like your dog has already found a way to gain drive satisfaction, scenting, this means as you try & interupt that, you become part of the problem not part of the solution (drive satisfaction), yeah?

I like to teach dogs that "scent work is the way you earn your rewards" not that it is rewarding all on its own... Does that make sense? (or scents? lol)

LOL yes it does make sense :champagne: How can I teach her this when we are working, for example, in class setting? Or is that a complicated question?

ETA: I guess what confuses me in this situation is I understand how to work in drive with a prey driven dog - my sibe is one - but I can't see how to apply the same theory to a scent hound... if that makes "scents" :champagne:

Edited by husky87

H: LOL yes it does make sense :) How can I teach her this when we are working, for example, in class setting? Or is that a complicated question?

K9: not complicated if you know the answer lol...

In a class setting, your dog has it all figured out, how it can get drive satisfacion etc etc.. This comfort needs to be taken away, frustration added, new paths to success taught...

H: ETA: I guess what confuses me in this situation is I understand how to work in drive with a prey driven dog - my sibe is one - but I can't see how to apply the same theory to a scent hound... if that makes "scents"

K9: Scenting is part of the hunting insticts which are part of the prey model, it can be done...