My Dog's Skin Has Changed Colour!

Sally

Hi all,

Recently I noticed my dog's tummy skin which is normally pink, had turned a dark, kind of grey colour. Now it's on most of her body, and has progressed to a dark grey/black colour. She has spent time sun baking lately. She is a white Maltese cross, and has recently had her hair cut short. Could it be from the sun???? The only other health issue she has had recently is a tumor at the top of her tail, which was benign, and went away on it's own.

Has anyone else had this happen to their dog?

Thanks!

I've done some research. Apparently this can be caused by Alopecia x (also known as Black Skin Disease) which eventually results in hair loss, or hypothyroidism. I guess I'll be taking her to the vet. I think the vet must have jinxed us when he said that Maltese crosses are really healthy dogs, it seems to be one thing after another at the moment. Oh well, we love her, so we'll do our best for her.

Hi Sally, my little Maltese cross has the same thing. And so do a lot of little Malts I groom. I wouldnt worry too much about it, it could just be a pigment change as they mature... hormones after desexing perhaps etc. Although certainly mention it to your vet but it is quite common. :laugh:

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but the skin colour change is quite normal in a Maltese. In fact, in the show ring they should have the dark pigmentation down their topline where the coat is parted. The pigmentation change is also casued by the sun, I know of Maltese showie's who purposely let the dogs sunbake to encourage the change in skin tone.

Wow, what a relief. Maybe she's not sick after all. I'll keep an eye on her, and if she seems well and everything, I might just get the vet to have a look when we go there next. I may get her groomed there, and ask them to have a peek :laugh:. Thanks for your reassurance!