Noise Phobic German Shepherd

I would really love some constructive advice on how to help my dog deal with varying noises.

It all started at about 8 months old. I was picking the kids up from school and while I was away there was a thunderstorm. He tried to climb through a partially opened window, broke the screen, smashed things all over the verandah. The sight when I got home was heart wrenching.

This poor dog was obviously petrified. He had not shown any signs of fear before this.

Now, while I am home, the storms aren't an issue. I let him inside and try to get him to stay quiet on his mat. Generally I have to put his lead on as he starts pacing the house.

My worry is when I leave the house. He stays outside while I am not home and copes just fine. Until that is, a storm comes up, theres fireworks etc.

A few days ago my kids were playing with balloons outside when one popped. He makes a beeline for the back door, practically tears the door off and charges inside.

Last night we went out for about three hours. When we got home, the screen on the back door was ripped off and the timber door was all chewed up.

He is not normally destructive when left on his own so I am assuming that some sort of noise set him off.

I need to help this dog, not just for his sake but for my sanity as well. The maintenance bills are getting quite expensive.

Duke is generally very well behaved. Great obedience, low drive (lazy butt actually) gets regular exercise and training. Lots of toys, kongs and bones when I am not home. Two skin kids who love him to death and play with him.

What can I do to help him? Has anyone had any luck with those desensitizing CD's?

Love some help.

Edited by GSD Mum

My advice to you would be to definitely go and see a behaviourist. K9 or even Dr Robert Holmes, who comes to Sydney to consult too I believe. Don't be tempted to just go to the vet and get ACP tablets. I can tell you as a former vet nurse for 15 years that they will only work when they are given, that the dog still has the fear and sometimes, over time that fear is exacerbated by also feeling woozy when given ACP at times of loud noise. I've heard those desensitisation CDs are very good but you need prof advice before he has a serious accident. I remember 2 dogs at work that wen thru plate glass window cos of thunder and one almost bled to death. Good luck, a tricky problem!

Agree with Arya above. When noise phobias are as severe as what you describe, we often don't have the time that it takes for behaviour modification techniques to work on their own. Meds on their own aren't the answer either. This is where a consult with a Vet/behaviourist is often best - because you then have a person who can construct a behaviour modification program combined with the judicious administration of appropriate drugs.

As Arya suggested, some drugs are NOT prescribed for these behaviours because whilst it might dull the dog's responses, it does not dull the senses, so you can have a dog who is frightened but can become even moreso because of the mere fact that he cannot do anything in an attempt to escape that fear.

The other problem with some drugs is that they need to be administered xxx hours before the onset of a storm. Not much help if you are at work when a storm rolls in.

I'm not big on the quick prescription of drugs, but in these instances they can be a very helpful aid provided they are coupled with a behaviour modification program.

There are things available such as DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheramone) collars. Out here, I know we can get the diffusers (which won't be much chop to your dog because they need to be in a room) and we can also get the spray version. I'm not sure that we can get the collars though, although I understand that in time they will be available here in Australia. Regardless, DAP are not always effective and I would doubt any effect would be significant enough given the severity of your dog's fear and your dog's fear responses.

There is no easy way to work through these sorts of problems to resolution, but that is not to say it is impossible. But like Arya suggested I would be inclined to seek the services of someone such as Robert Holmes given the severity of the situation described in your OP.

In the short meantime, make sure as best as you can that your dog does have opportunity to take comfort in a known safe place, such as a kennel or crate or some such. Some training (between storms) to build up on the sense of safety and comfort these things can provide would be worthwhile.

Thanks to you both for your responses. Ayra, funny you mention ACP's.

One vet did prescribe these for Duke and yes they make him very woozy. Only problem is that I need to give them WELL before the storm or fireworks and on two occasssions I gave them to him the damn storm blew over so all I had was a doped up dog for hours.

I have emailed Steve Courtney fro k9 Force. Anyone had any dealings with him? His website is very encouraging.

Duke does have a kennel outside, which he loves. I use a crate for him at our holiday house which he loves too.

So this week I bought one for home. Only, I'm scared to use it during a storm in case he hurts himself in it.

Edited by GSD Mum

One vet did prescribe these for Duke and yes they make him very woozy. Only problem is that I need to give them WELL before the storm or fireworks and on two occasssions I gave them to him the damn storm blew over so all I had was a doped up dog for hours.

Sometimes that's not a bad thing (provided the RIGHT drug is prescribed) especially DURING behaviour modification efforts. It would be really handy if we could "dial up a storm" so we could use them at will to work with dogs who have these issues. That we cannot is what makes it very awkward. Sometimes it is better to guess a storm will occur and prepare for it, rather than to not and be unprepared for it.

I have emailed Steve Courtney fro k9 Force. Anyone had any dealings with him? His website is very encouraging.

Steve is well known to DOL and DOL people and sports a very good reputation to helping dogs with issues. I'm not sure what protocol he would chose to adopt in your dog's instance, given the problem, but I am confident that Steve will give you some sound advice.

Duke does have a kennel outside, which he loves. I use a crate for him at our holiday house which he loves too.

:thumbsup:

So this week I bought one for home. Only, I'm scared to use it during a storm in case he hurts himself in it.

Some dogs are kept safe by being crated ..... I have known of others, though, who have frantically chewed their way through even the toughest of steel mesh in kennels (causing self-damage in the meantime) to escape the fear they harbour during storms. Whether actually crating (ie keeping door shut) your dog is adviseable is going to be a matter for your behaviourist to decide and advise on. But at least your dog has a 'place' that he CAN go to in the event he choses. In the interim of engaging the advice, instruction and supervision of a behaviourist, I would suggest that you do what feasibly can be done to encourage your dog to seek the shelter of his crate at the outset and during times of storms.

When you are home with him and have opportunity, know that you should avoid acting as though something is wrong when a storm is imminent/upon you. Use your body language to portray complete relaxation and indifference to it. Ignore your dog's symptoms of fear but encourage any moments of behaviour which leans towards 'confidence' .... and encourage any move he makes towards opting to enter his crate for comfort. Make the crate his source of comfort rather than you. After all, you cannot always be there at times of storm ..... but his crate can be. :confused:

Also do what you need to do to ensure that YOU are clear leader in your household so that he has the option of deferring to you in these times of high stress. Of course, leadership is prescribed for times between and during storms .... in otherwords - always. :laugh:

Edited by Erny