Problems While Walking

When I take Sam for a walk (early morning) as soon as he notices another dog coming behind us he will put on his alert JRT stance then when they get closer start barking etc and want to go over to the dog. The dog is being walked on the wrong side of the road so we are not on the same side. I have done lots of research on the net and it seems that I need to stay calm but this isn't easy to do "in the heat of the moment" and you feel embarrassed when your dog is carrying on and the other dog is walking like an angel. I have found an article about self control for dogs so this is something I need to work on. I am also doing as suggested in another article by asking Sam to sit every now and then. I know I've probably been a bit lax but now when we walk if Sam pulls ahead too much (or goes off onto the side) I stop and wait for him to turn back or if he is walking ahead I'll say "steady" and walk slowly and if he lags behind or spends too much time sniffing around I say "let's go" and bring him up near to me and praise him when he is walking along nicely beside me.We only see one or two dogs or sometimes none as we are on 1 & 2 acre blocks here and a lot of dogs don't get walked regularly if at all. I didn't have this problem when we used to walk later and we'd regularly meet up with another dog and his owner/s who would stop and have a chat.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching one of those behaviourists the Dog Whisperer or Listener and someone had a similar problem.

They said that you had to reassert the pack heirarchy when you wake up so no snuggles and cuddles, be firm. Make them sit to put the lead on and then wait a bit before letting them out. The dog on the show got hyper as soon as it saw the lead so the owner had to wait until the dog was calm to open the door. Then the dog had to sit and wait calmly before it was let out the door and the owner had to go out first. Then same thing before they went out the gate. Made a huge difference. Otherwise it was hyped up with getting a walk and then tried to assert its leadership over whoever it saw first thing in the morning.

And I think they made the dog look at the owner rather than the dog when they walked past another dog and got a treat for it so if they saw another dog they could look for the owner for something good.