Puppy Having Nightmares

BlitznBear

Our Blitz is 6 months old, he started having screaming nightmares about 3 weeks ago, everytime he screamed and became distressed I would run out and see if he was alright, the sound of his cries really sceared me so I would jump up straight away only to find him sound asleep.

He cries as if he's being beaten or hurt, we have only taken him out of his crate to sleep with Bear in our room on their bed to try and give him some comfort at night but it hasnt helped, 3 or 4 times a night he'll scream out and its really horrible to wake to, Ill go down and pat him and comfort him but he's asleep anyway.

Anyone know what this is?, is it nightmares? we got him when he was 3 months old and nothing horrible has occurred for him to be having horrible thoughts or dreams, well (not with us anyway), but I dont know what he has experienced prior to him being dumped in a rubbish tip at 6-8 weeks old.

His cries started approximately 3 weeks ago.

Anyone?

My pups all cry and twitch in their sleep, but it doesn't really sound like they're having nightmares, more just intense dreams. My lab moves her mouth like she's eating in her sleep!

I reckon that as long as he's not distressed when he's awake, ignore it.

If the dreaming seems more like seizures, just rule epilepsie out !!!

Cooper often growles, very loudly in his sleep, and was running last night. I was being kicked by all 4 legs while he was asleep. Have a great old run he was :laugh:

Thanks for your replies, I could only wish Blitz made little yelps in his sleep, I will try the homeopathic drops Boxerheart, can I get them from any health shop?

Yep ..you can get them from the health food shop and some vets who are open minded. Homopathic practitioners can also make it up. The best one I have found though is to be "Bachs Flower Rescue Remedy".

It is fast and effective. A couple of drops under the tongue in emergency. But maybe with your guy..morning and night before bed daily. Then to before bed.

Cheers

Edited by Boxerheart

• 2 weeks later...

My bassets and my partners Kelpie have "dreams"

one of my old boys Benson (RIP) used to have running dreams, he'd be on his side full on running and woofing as he would if chasing a rabbit, was definitely not a seizure,

Ruby current basset is lying here in the study and just had an aroooo dream, they are so funny

My pup has terrible nightmares!! He's often quite vocal in his sleep, but has occasionally woken up screaming, or been screaming in his sleep!!

I've started giving him Rescue Remedy before bed time and they have totally settled down!!!

Yeah that was exactly the same with mine stormie, when I first heard him crying out, I truley thought that someone had broken in to my house and began beating him, I crapped myself, only to find him fast asleep.

Edited by BlitznBear