Off Colour (updated 19/11/07)

BJ.

I had Jester at the vets this morning as he was very flat all day yesterday and didn't eat anything and was drinking very little. He hasn't vomitted or had the runs, is still weeing and he pooped this morning with no problems. The vet checked him all over no sore spots, no temperature, gums a good colour etc. Told to take him home and keep an eye on him and if there is no change to bring him back Monday. I can get him to drink about half a cup of liquid every 2 hours if I put honey in the water, (is this enough?) and he just managed about a quarter of a cup of BBQ chicken that I hand fed him. A sad and sick doggy is bad enough but a sad and sick Basset is really pathetic. I guess I am really worried that he is getting enough fluids, he is just 6 months.

Edited by Casper

I had Jester at the vets this morning as he was very flat all day yesterday and didn't eat anything and was drinking very little. He hasn't vomitted or had the runs, is still weeing and he pooped this morning with no problems. The vet checked him all over no sore spots, no temperature, gums a good colour etc. Told to take him home and keep an eye on him and if there is no change to bring him back Monday. I can get him to drink about half a cup of liquid every 2 hours if I put honey in the water, (is this enough?) and he just managed about a quarter of a cup of BBQ chicken that I hand fed him. A sad and sick doggy is bad enough but a sad and sick Basset is really pathetic. I guess I am really worried that he is getting enough fluids, he is just 6 months.

there is definitely something going around that is just like what you have described.. and it seems to be looking to be a national problem... i have just had people i have rehomed a pup to last week.. at a vet today and so far their bill is up to $2400 with no answer.. oh except for the vet telling him after a test that no it wasn't parvo.. then they did an operation suspecting a bowel obstruction.. and found nothing.. and then after the dog passed a poo with blood in it.. (as you would i expect if you have just had your bowel operated on) .. then they said.. yes it is parvo???

if the poor little bugger makes it through the night .. he will probably come good tomorrow..

sadly this little man had a similar bug to what you have described.. only 12 days ago when he was still with me... like you i noticed no eating, drinking etc.. i usually keep some empty syringes here so that if they are avoiding drinking they get no choice.. and keeping up their fluids and observing them they seem to pass the bug in about 24hrs.. only problem is 2 of the 4 have come down with it again...

pxx

Hi Casper,

I'm sure Jester will be fine. Maybe he ate something that hasn't agreed with him? :laugh: As long as he's drinking something and keeping it down, I think all you need to do is make sure he's nice and cool, especially since we are enjoying such great weather here at the moment. :laugh:

there is definitely something going around that is just like what you have described.. and it seems to be looking to be a national problem... i have just had people i have rehomed a pup to last week.. at a vet today and so far their bill is up to $2400 with no answer.. oh except for the vet telling him after a test that no it wasn't parvo.. then they did an operation suspecting a bowel obstruction.. and found nothing.. and then after the dog passed a poo with blood in it.. (as you would i expect if you have just had your bowel operated on) .. then they said.. yes it is parvo???

if the poor little bugger makes it through the night .. he will probably come good tomorrow..

sadly this little man had a similar bug to what you have described.. only 12 days ago when he was still with me... like you i noticed no eating, drinking etc.. i usually keep some empty syringes here so that if they are avoiding drinking they get no choice.. and keeping up their fluids and observing them they seem to pass the bug in about 24hrs.. only problem is 2 of the 4 have come down with it again...

pxx

Hmmm did you have only puppies affected? I have 2 adult dogs here and both seem to be fine at the moment but maybe I should keep an eye on them too. Jester seems a little brighter tonight, he has eaten almost the whole breast of the bbq chook. Mind you I shredded it and hand fed him and he also went outside and had a good drink from his bowl without me prompting him. I have started to think that maybe his throat was sore and that is why he was/is reluctant to eat or drink, he certainly doesn't seem to have had any tummy troubles.

If he is passing normal motions, he does not have a blockage, but keep watching. Most "bugs" come with vomiting and/or diarrohea.

If he was my dog, and he was no better, I would take him to the vet on Monday, and do tests.

One of mine was something like that a month or so ago. Sunday night - Wouldn't eat, although would drink a little. Same on Monday. Nothing obviously wrong - colour good, temp ok, but she was a bit flat. She ate a couple of tiny pieces of my roast chicken which I offered her, but not very enthusiatically (this girl would eat a whole Bison at one sitting if she could) She was the same on Tuesday am, so I dropped her off at the vet, he couldn't see anything wrong with her either. So I left her there, asking him to do whatever tests he felt necessary. White cell count was elevated (signifying infection), and when he opened her mouth to give her an antibiotic - he noticed something black on her tongue.

She had swallowed a sewing needle with 30 cms black cotton attacked, and the needle was lodged in her tonsil. He anaethetised her, and pulled it out with forceps.

So - never rule anything out!! I didn't think she had eaten anything because there was no sign of even a partial blockage. I know this is quite bizarre, but sometimes you do need to do tests. If there is no change in 2 days, he needs help.

Hope he is ok, let us know.

Hmmm did you have only puppies affected? I have 2 adult dogs here and both seem to be fine at the moment but maybe I should keep an eye on them too. Jester seems a little brighter tonight, he has eaten almost the whole breast of the bbq chook. Mind you I shredded it and hand fed him and he also went outside and had a good drink from his bowl without me prompting him. I have started to think that maybe his throat was sore and that is why he was/is reluctant to eat or drink, he certainly doesn't seem to have had any tummy troubles.

Yes so far it is only puppies that seem affected.. my dogs seem fine... the way i see it... the vets don't know what it is.. and with it only appearing to last 24-48hrs.. by the time they go to the vet they are appearing fine again...

pxx

Well had Jester back at the vets today as although he was a bit brighter over the weekend and today he still wasn't quiet right. They had another good check over him and couldn't find anything so decided to do a blood test. Test came back all clear but a couple of the enzymes, so 2 out of 3 that they check for kidney function were a little high, still within normal range but on the high side. So I have had to leave my baby there :laugh: they are going to put him on a drip and also get a urine sample for more tests. The poor little fella trotted off with the vet quiet happily until he realised that I wasn't going too, as I left I could hear the most heart wrenching yowels.:laugh: