Those Horrible Spikey Grass Seeds!

BasTyra

I've had issues lately with Griever and those horrid seeds.

My husband and I found one deep in his fur that ended up being embedded in his skin so we had to remove it with tweezers and disinfect the area. *shakes a fist at landscapers and their shoddy grass and mulch*

Since we found it we did a big search through his fur and have removed approximately 5 from his skin!

I'm really worried now that some might already be fully inside him.

If I take him to the groomer and get his hair shorn will it stop the blasted things embedding themselves in him? :laugh:

I'm going to mention it to the vet when he goes in for his anal operation early december too.

You will need to give your dog a good once over every day to check for grass seeds to get them before they are imbedded.

Clipping wont stop them as I even find them in newly clipped dogs.

You will just have to be very mindful of them this time of year, and every year and thoroughly check for them every day.

Nope not cobblers pegs...

They are hay coloured shaft-like and if you run your fingers over them along the shaft from the point they are smooth, but if you run your fingers over them backward they are very spikey. That's why it's so hard to get them out of his fur.

Thanks for the posts. I might get him clipped anyway just to make it easier to find them. He's too damn fluffy!!

Edit: I think it might be a type of speargrass.

Edited by BasTyra

I just clipped off my Newfoundland for this very reason! For the past few years, I've done a portugeues water dog style (shaved bum but fluffy chest) so he has the comfort of a shaved bum but the protection over his chest, but this year, the grass seeds are out in full force here so I went mad and cut all his hair off. But yes, even though he is short now, I still pulled several off his chest :shakehead: and he had 2 very sore paws...... pulled a few half-embedded seeds from one paw and it was instantly less sore, but the other paw, eve though I got a few out, was still yucky so have poulticed it up (on vet advice, mind... he is 8 years old so we don't want to do surgery if we can avaoid it!). I also went over his feet with scissors (very carefully) and clipped off as much hair as I possibly could from his feet, so his feet are kinda bald now (like a poodle hehe), and it wont stop the grass seeds, we still have to do the 2x daily check but it will make them easier to spot.

Feel for you poor dog (and you, they are nasty buggers!)