Too Old For Toilet Accidents?

pencilnibbler

ok so my jelly baby is 10 months old now, and still has toilet accidents inside the house!!!

they average about 1 or 2 a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. most of the time its overnight, but occasionally, like has just happened, she comes into one of our rooms and just pees on the carpet!! :rofl:

just when i think we're finally getting somewhere, there she goes again.

most of the time i'm pretty vigilant, and she often paws at the back door when she needs to go. i let her out at all the appropriate intervals, i watch her while she does it & lots of praise & happy talk when she performs, but still we have problems.

we now even have a friend for her, another whippy, who's a bit older & fantastic with toileting, for her to 'look up to', and yet - pee.

i guess my main question is how old would you expect to be rid of accidents such as these? im mainly concerned because my parents are going to be looking after them when we go on our honeymoon next year, and i dont want them to have to deal with this.

i guess my main question is how old would you expect to be rid of accidents such as these? im mainly concerned because my parents are going to be looking after them when we go on our honeymoon next year, and i dont want them to have to deal with this.

Seriously? 5 months old and certainly no older than 6 months.

If you are creating the situation where she is compelled to go in the house sometimes, then you reinforce that that's OK. Have you considered a dog door?

Is it an option for her to sleep outside now the weather's warmer?

She will have the other dog for company.

It's not realistic for you to expect her to learn from the other dog- you must train her.

As pf said, each accident you allow inside is teaching her it's OK to wee there :thumbsup:

When you let her outside to toilet, do you go out too and praise her immediately when she goes?

Go back to basics, like you would for a younger pup. Your pup isn't toilet trained.

"Name It"..

e.g. go outside with pup.... walking around can help get things moving...

As she starts to wee, say your word (e.g. "wee- wee", "toilet") in a really happy voice. Give a treat immediately after.

Bring her back inside again with you. Your dog will soon learn what "wee- wee" means, that you're happy about it and she gets to come back inside with you.

Sometimes you can inadvertently "punish" a dog with toileting--e.g. they like being inside, you let them out to go to the toilet (they may or may not, do you check?) then leave them outside. The "punishment" is being left outside, instead of being in with everyone else.

Good luck

Persist and be consistent and results will some soon...

i have, but i also have a cat who i dont necessarily want to be able to slip in & out of the house as she likes

Time for some hard decisions then. You will never reliably toilet train a dog that cannot relieve itself outside each and every time it needs to go.

General rule of thumb I was taught is that every accident inside sets up another 5 'accidents'. What do you think your dog's understanding of where she's allowed to toilet is?

You can get electronic dog doors that allow some pets free access but restrict others depending on how you set their collars.