Fatty Lumps In Older Dogs

openarms

My old girl has a couple of fatty lumps , i have had them checked and they aren't dangerous but it was over a year ago. I noticed last night that the feel of these lumps has changed they are harder now and feel like a seriers of smaller bumps within the lump. Can fatty lumps turn cancerous? Is it normal for them to change?

i've had one with fatty lump turn to cancer

but have had others that have just stayed fatty lumps

not sure if the fatty lumps started the cancer or she would have got it anyway

i would take her to the vet and get them to check wether the changes and normal or not

paws crossed there is nothing to worry about

dfa

I think the danger of cancer depends in part on where it is. If it could be over an organ or mammary gland, or it is apparently attached, I would go to a vet in a hurry. If it's free floating between skin and muscle and away from organs, I'd be less worried, but if you have a good vet, I'd still be inclined to do a check. If the dog is old and not in great condition, I would be less inclined to go to the vet . . . if it is cancer, I wouldn't put an older older dog through chemo or surgery.

As one who has learned the hard way on lump checks, I always say - get every lump checked. If it changes, get it checked again.

The time and cost to get a lump checked is nothing, compared to the time and cost of chemo.

Best of luck, hoping for lovely fatty lipomas for your pooch

Jodie