Possum Biting Dog

DSL

hi I have a 12 month old lab who has a very nausty sore on her back upper leg after a possum bit her

it got into the dogs yard last night and the dogs reacted by chasing it but not before it bit one of them and i was wondering if just soaking it in salt water and then putting benedin on it if that will be ok till a vet in my area opens if it is kept clean.

hi I have a 12 month old lab who has a very nausty sore on her back upper leg after a possum bit her

it got into the dogs yard last night and the dogs reacted by chasing it but not before it bit one of them and i was wondering if just soaking it in salt water and then putting benedin on it if that will be ok till a vet in my area opens if it is kept clean.

Yep! Keep it clean as possible, put on some antiseptic and watch for signs of infection...if it gets infected it will need antibiotics,but otherwise it should heal without intervention. If the dog is licking at the wound too much, you can put a little vicks vapourub around (but not on) the wound...they usually leave it alone then!!

Wash any dirt out with clean warm water. And then the Betadine should be fine. Unless it needs a stitch, it should not need the vet.

I don't think it matters if he licks it. It's not like stitches where he can pull them out, and he will keep it clean.

thanks for that ive cleaned the wound and stuck benedin on it she licked that of so i did the vicks around it alittle bit and boy what a screw up with the face but it worked lol

it doesnt look invected so i will see how she goes . ive got an elizabeth collar so if she goes to lick it agian i will put that on her.

thanks agian for your help