Recommendations Please

Ive done a search on here for a 'good' dog trainer and so far came up with the Pawman and K9

I am In south Brisbane so the Pawman seemed the easiest bet. Anyone used him???

Ive read the threads but theyre not really the same issues that I have with my boxer.

Basically shes fab...friendly, walks well on the lead, cant complain at all....until we get visitors...she goes mental jumping up and weight 30kg's its just not on!!

Ive taken her to various training schools where shes done really well but they dont really help with jumping...TBH getting her to walk to heal and doing sit stays isnt what we need even though she does it really well.

Its stressing me out now and Ive tried all the usual things....keep the lead on, water spray, time out, shouting, food treat..you name it I 'think Ive tried it.

So its not a class Im after but someone to come out to our house.

We have another boxer and hes fine...thick but fine :party: Bless him :cheer::rofl:

She been like this since she was a wee pup and shes 2 and a half now :rofl:

Thanks for reading :o

I'm sure someone will come and suggest a trainer in your area but in the mean time, dogs only do what works, so she is getting some sort of reward from the jumping up.

She is only a dog and you must be smarter, so work out what is in it for her, if you change the reward (to her) you will change the behavour.

Maybe she needs to learn that she will only get attention when all four feet are on the ground, maybe you could teach her that sitting is the only the way people will give her love and attention, that is what you need to work out. :laugh:

I dealt with the Pawman a couple months ago and wasn't impressed. However my dogs problem is more involved than the one you describe. Other's have dealt with him and said he was great and solved the problem.

Pax is on the money.

I think that dogs believe that they control/influence their environment by their actions. You see it with so many over the top bouncy dogs that people show them attention while they are behaving like that. If the dogs goal is to get attention, then he comes to believe that if he acts bouncy and over the top, he gets the attention that he wants. Attention is the reinforcer and any behaviour that is reinforced gets stronger.

Setting new rules about how and when the dog gets attention is the easy part....getting your visitors or the people that you meet to comply to the rules is a little harder in my experience. You'll find it the hardest to enforce amongst those who are dog lovers, but have little understanding about how the mind of the dog works. But it has to be done to give a consistent message and to be fair on the dog.

• 3 months later...
Ive done a search on here for a 'good' dog trainer and so far came up with the Pawman and K9

I am In south Brisbane so the Pawman seemed the easiest bet. Anyone used him???

Ive read the threads but theyre not really the same issues that I have with my boxer.

Basically shes fab...friendly, walks well on the lead, cant complain at all....until we get visitors...she goes mental jumping up and weight 30kg's its just not on!!

Ive taken her to various training schools where shes done really well but they dont really help with jumping...TBH getting her to walk to heal and doing sit stays isnt what we need even though she does it really well.

Its stressing me out now and Ive tried all the usual things....keep the lead on, water spray, time out, shouting, food treat..you name it I 'think Ive tried it.

So its not a class Im after but someone to come out to our house.

We have another boxer and hes fine...thick but fine :( Bless him :mad:idea:

She been like this since she was a wee pup and shes 2 and a half now :)

Thanks for reading :)

In reply to your query above......

I can most certainly solve your dogs behavior problems withing a single 3 hour consultation that is done in your home. If you're not 100% happy that I have succeeded at the end of the consult then its free ;)