Clicker +

I saw Clicker + clickers discussed on an American training board today.

Anyone used one? I was thinking it might be handy to have a No Reward Marker as well as a click. I also like the idea of something that straps to your finger instead of hanging off a wrist band.

(please let's just stick to the clicker technology and not have another sh*tfight about positive training or clicker training or whatever)

just on the "no reward marker" - I use "yes" as a "thats right - but keep going" - sometimes I will reward a yes still (otherwise it could become meaningless - more background noise if it never leads to something good) - and the click as the end behaviour...

havnt tried one of those though. :laugh:

I use a NRM sometimes but all I ever say to the dog is 'oops', it is hard to say oops in a cranky voice Sometimes I will prat on with stuff like 'silly duffer that's not it' as I set them back up. :laugh:

I think it helps the dog to know that what the are offering is incorrect and to try again. If it is a brand new behavour then I don't use a NRM.

I like the NRM as I want to give my dog as much information as I can, I think of it like playing the warmer/colder game.

If my dogs come into the house and go to eat the cat food or herd the cat I say 'get out of it' or 'leave it', but that is the only sort of situation I will sound cross as I think they no that is naughty. :laugh:

I use a NRM sometimes but all I ever say to the dog is 'oops', it is hard to say oops in a cranky voice Sometimes I will prat on with stuff like 'silly duffer that's not it' as I set them back up. :laugh:

I think it helps the dog to know that what the are offering is incorrect and to try again. If it is a brand new behavour then I don't use a NRM.

I like the NRM as I want to give my dog as much information as I can, I think of it like playing the warmer/colder game.

If my dogs come into the house and go to eat the cat food or herd the cat I say 'get out of it' or 'leave it', but that is the only sort of situation I will sound cross as I think they no that is naughty. :laugh:

I was confused with bridgie_cat's answer because I also thought that you use NRM when the dog does something 'wrong' or rather not right, and therefore I can't C&T. I use it in shaping quite a bit, and just say 'oops' as well :rofl:

A click doesn't always end the behavoiur, if I click and delay the reward my dog will often work better waiting for the reward for a few more steps, then I reward in postion.

Sometimes I will click and throw the food rewarding out of postion, my dog will get the reward and recommence the behavoiur so I do not believe the click ends it in the dogs mind. I know my dogs dont get a C/T and then stop for smoko. :laugh:

I wouldn't be keen on a clicker that needs batteries. :laugh: