Skin Condition On A Hairy Dog

Hi all,

Just a question. I have a little (VERY) hairy show dog. He keeps getting sores on his skin. He is constantly on anti biotics and preds. Apart from the sores, he is well. He often cries when I brush him and sometimes screams. I am at a loss. What do I do? Should I clip him off? (2.5 years to get his coat equal to anything in the world - according to overseas judges). I must say that he has a white coat, so betadine really is not an option if I want to keep showing him. Would appreciate any advise.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of questions here?

What are you feeding him? Have changed his diet 3 times. Each time, no result.

what are you washing him in? Have changed his shampoo twice, no result.

Are you drying him completely after you wash him? Thoroughly, with hair dryer, pedstal fan and pin brush.

Do you mist him when you brush him? No

What sort of brush are you using on him? A Grip soft pin brush.

If clipping him makes a difference then you should do it. Your dog wants to be comfortable. I doubt he gives a sh*t about being shown.

A diet change will require a dedicated 3 months. Try some natural therapies - steriods weaken the immune system and are probably making him worse long term. Do you actually have a diagnosis? "Sores" is not a diagnosis of a condition. If he is regularly seeing a vet for medication then you should have some sort of name for what he has.

Any long coated dog should be dampened down with a mist of either water or a watery conditioner before brushing otherwise you can have issues with coat and hair damage.

Are the pins on your brush got bobbles on the end.

You may need to look at how you are brushing as well

If clipping him makes a difference then you should do it. Your dog wants to be comfortable. I doubt he gives a sh*t about being shown.

A diet change will require a dedicated 3 months. Try some natural therapies - steriods weaken the immune system and are probably making him worse long term. Do you actually have a diagnosis? "Sores" is not a diagnosis of a condition. If he is regularly seeing a vet for medication then you should have some sort of name for what he has.

Sorry, you are right, He has a 'staff' infection. (for the last 12 months). :confused: Can't pin point were it is coming from. I maintain, that he is being bitten and the sores become infected. The changes in diet have made no difference. I usually keep him on the change for about 4 months. Have to beg to differ, he does LOVE to show, but that is not really an important thing to me. I just want him to be healthly.

Can you please give me some natural remidies? I really don't want my man on drugs for the rest of his life. I know that it would be a very short one.

Any long coated dog should be dampened down with a mist of either water or a watery conditioner before brushing otherwise you can have issues with coat and hair damage.

Are the pins on your brush got bobbles on the end. Yes bobbles

You may need to look at how you are brushing as well Been doing it for 2.5 years, not dramas until the last week or two.

Ok if he is a Chinese crested i would suggest that you change immediately your shampoo. Aristo pet has far to much perfume in it and it stinks to high heaven in my opinion.

Give Lynda at Groomers a ring. www.groomersproducts.com.au

You need to have him on Evening Primrose Shampoo and Food supplement. It means washing him approximately every 4 days to get his skin under control. But if it is going to work you need to follow it pretty much to the letter. Lynda also sells an EPO conditioning spray that can be used when you are brushing him out.

I would also suggest that you seriously consider changing his diet to a premium kibble or to a Raw or barf type food.

Purina One is a supermarket brand and is not particularly brilliant for many dogs.

Groomers also has an EPO food Supplement that can be added to his food. So you are feeding not only the skin from the outside but the body from the inside as well.

It may sound like some big changes but sometimes for the health of our dogs we need to look at alternatives in feeding and grooming requirements.

And bobbles on Pin brushes are the biggest no no on long coated breeds they rip coat. Get a decent pin brush they start from about $10 for a cheepie up to about $100 or more depending on what you buy. A $30 brush is probably what you should be looking at.

Good Luck

Edited by wylie

I would be supplementing him with fish oils, vitamin C and probiotics for starters. Change him to a natural diet for a few months and see how he goes. Chlorhexidine kills staph - are you using shampoo with that in it? It's very common for humans to have those infections in tropical envinronments. Staph skin infections for humans are much worse in the summer too.

Are there any vets that do wholistic medicine in Darwin?

I've shown an mod hairless... your guy is obviously a PP. There isn't that much difference between a PP and a hairy hairless. Can you shave him off and show him as a hairless?

Might sound extreme - the wellbeing of the dog is much more important than showing. I know how hard it is to treat hotspots/sores etc on a short lab coat without getting out the clippers. It won't cure him but surely it will allow more air/sun to get to his skin if he is shaved?

Ok if he is a Chinese crested i would suggest that you change immediately your shampoo. Aristo pet has far to much perfume in it and it stinks to high heaven in my opinion.

Give Lynda at Groomers a ring. www.groomersproducts.com.au

You need to have him on Evening Primrose Shampoo and Food supplement. It means washing him approximately every 4 days to get his skin under control. But if it is going to work you need to follow it pretty much to the letter. Lynda also sells an EPO conditioning spray that can be used when you are brushing him out.

I would also suggest that you seriously consider changing his diet to a premium kibble or to a Raw or barf type food.

Purina One is a supermarket brand and is not particularly brilliant for many dogs.

Groomers also has an EPO food Supplement that can be added to his food. So you are feeding not only the skin from the outside but the body from the inside as well.

It may sound like some big changes but sometimes for the health of our dogs we need to look at alternatives in feeding and grooming requirements.

And bobbles on Pin brushes are the biggest no no on long coated breeds they rip coat. Get a decent pin brush they start from about $10 for a cheepie up to about $100 or more depending on what you buy. A $30 brush is probably what you should be looking at.

Good Luck

Thank you, I will contact Lynda, hopefully she can help me. I don't understand what you mean about the food. Sorry in Darwin, we don't get much choice. Could you 'Please explain"?

Where do I get a pin brush from?

I would be supplementing him with fish oils, vitamin C and probiotics for starters. Change him to a natural diet for a few months and see how he goes. Chlorhexidine kills staph - are you using shampoo with that in it? It's very common for humans to have those infections in tropical envinronments. Staph skin infections for humans are much worse in the summer too.

Are there any vets that do wholistic medicine in Darwin?

Not that I am aware of. I am not sure what you mean by a natural diet.

I am sure in Darwin you have pet supply stores that have premium kibbles available. Maybe PM papylove as to what she knows in terms of foods available in Darwin. She has a papillon.

And as for the brush when you put in your order with Lynda get a brush from her. There are lots on her website to choose from.

If you do a search on DOL for raw or barf there are lots of threads that will come up with links.

A more natural diet will consist of more raw foods like chicken wings and necks and lamb flaps etc. Some feed with added vegetable matter and others dont.

Your choice really.

I've shown an mod hairless... your guy is obviously a PP. There isn't that much difference between a PP and a hairy hairless. Can you shave him off and show him as a hairless?

Might sound extreme - the wellbeing of the dog is much more important than showing. I know how hard it is to treat hotspots/sores etc on a short lab coat without getting out the clippers. It won't cure him but surely it will allow more air/sun to get to his skin if he is shaved?

I would love to give you a pic of my man. He is not only a PP but one of the hairiest ones I have ever seen. His coat is equal to a mini afghan. I don't mind clipping him off, I don't mind not showing him, but I sort of feel that his hair is keeping the worst of his sores away. I keep wondering about the air/sun, but keep thinking that at least he is protected. Where the most hair is, there are no sores.

If you do a search on DOL for raw or barf there are lots of threads that will come up with links.

A more natural diet will consist of more raw foods like chicken wings and necks and lamb flaps etc. Some feed with added vegetable matter and others dont.

Your choice really.

Thankyou. I will do that, he cannot tollerate chicken. (Diahorea), but lamb maybe the go.

Some people believe that commercially prepared pet food with all it's cereal fillers, preservatives and COOKED meat causes health problems in dogs.

I would be very surprised if you fed your dog raw lamb and veges and the above supplements for 3 - 4 months that you'd have the problems you have now. If he's been on antibiotics you will need to make sure he has probiotics like inner health or yakult for quite a while to replenish the good bacteria in his digestive system.

I am sure in Darwin you have pet supply stores that have premium kibbles available. Maybe PM papylove as to what she knows in terms of foods available in Darwin. She has a papillon.

And as for the brush when you put in your order with Lynda get a brush from her. There are lots on her website to choose from.

Thank you, I will do that, I would just so love for my man to be comfortabel ALL the time.