Blenders Etc

PooMother

I was just making a fresh batch of veggie mix for the dogs and broke my mincer, its a Kenwood. Was wanting to know what others use to mush up their mixes please ie blender, mincer (so you get pieces just not big ones) chop up themselves?

Also what do you add to it?

Cheers

Thanks. So you dont use the juice in with the mix just the pulp then? I have been using all of it?

I use a juicer so I can add all the pulp and just enough of the juice to make a firm mix.

If you search here on "Poodlefan BARF Recipe" you'll find mine.

Thanks. So you dont use the juice in with the mix just the pulp then? I have been using all of it?
I use a juicer so I can add all the pulp and just enough of the juice to make a firm mix.

A lot of people use all of it CM but I prefer not to feed a sloppy mix. It's the pulp that has the value in terms of roughage.

I had a Breville Juice Fountain but found it really didn't have the horsepower for the amount of stuff I was juicing and it found pumpkin hard going.

I now have a commerical juicer like this:

juicer.jpg

That's probably overkill for most people but having such a powerful juicer has halved the time I spent juicing veggies for mixes and it powers through stuff like pumpkin. :laugh:

Ok thanks I found it. Well I dont think its overkill when you are doing it for a long time. I only have the 2 pups but if I were a breeder or had more than 2 I would lok at something like that, still might....do I need to put OH on the corner to pay for it?????? Only kidding I dont have that much time :-)

A lot of people use all of it CM but I prefer not to feed a sloppy mix. It's the pulp that has the value in terms of roughage.

I had a Breville Juice Fountain but found it really didn't have the horsepower for the amount of stuff I was juicing and it found pumpkin hard going.

I now have a commerical juicer like this:

juicer.jpg

That's probably overkill for most people but having such a powerful juicer has halved the time I spent juicing veggies for mixes and it powers through stuff like pumpkin. :laugh:

I'm not familiar with that juicer but if you end up getting one, try within your budget for:

Powerful motor (helps with the tougher veggies)

Big external pulp collector (so you don't have to pull it apart to empty it all the time)

Easy to pull apart.

Quite a few DOLers have the Juice Fountain. If you search here on "juicer" there are a few threads about what brands to buy.

ETA: Here's the latest version of my recipe by the way.

Poodlefan’s BARF Veggie Mix

Ok here it is. I've left references to the cat in in memory of my cat Haile (RIP)

I based this on Dr B's recipe for veggie patties in GYPWB. Lets see if I can explain it like a cook book does!

Ingredients

4 eggs (or can be added prior to serving)

1 small container of low fat natural yogurt

2 tablespoons of flax seed oil (I'm using a blend of oils these days called Megaderm)

4 tablespoons of Missing Link or other diet supplement as per dosage (optional)

2 kg of mixed fruit and veggies (I use some root veggies, some fruit and some green veggies in every mix)

1 kg full fat beef mince

1 large piece of liver or a few kidneys

Method

1. Add eggs, yogurt, flax seed oil and Missing Link to huge bowl (I use a big laundry bucket) and blend well

2. Add the mince and mix well . Remove cat from kitchen bench.

3. Juice a little of the fruit and veggies. Add some of the juice to a blender and blend the offal until smooth. Resist urge to smell mix – you will regret it. Try not to vomit at result’s appearance and add to main ingredients.

4. Run the rest of the fruit and veggies through the juicer or blender. Add all the pulp to the mix and enough juice to obtain a firm but not sloppy consistency. You should end up with about 30% mince mix and the rest is veggies.

6. Remove cat from bench again.

7. Cave in and give a little of fresh mince and mix to cat

8. Put into storage containers and freeze.

I find this mix feeds 5 mini poodles for 5 meals. My mix is evolving over time. I’ve used other additives like Power Blend, Barley Grass Power, Brewers Yeast, Vitamin C – I just change them from time to time. Currently I'm adding the an egg, Vitamin C, E and oil to each mix just before feeding. I'm using quite a bit of pumpking in the mix these days to keep my dog Lily's anal glands moving.

My large dog owning friends do all the stages from 1 to 3 and then freeze the mix, juicing fresh veggies separately to add to it. This cuts down on freezer space and the time taken to make the mix.

If you find your dog is not accepting the mix, add a little more fresh mince to their feed and slowly reduce the amount of mince they receive.

Edited by poodlefan

Thank you am going shopping tomorrow to see what I can find

I'm not familiar with that juicer but if you end up getting one, try within your budget for:

Powerful motor (helps with the tougher veggies)

Big external pulp collector (so you don't have to pull it apart to empty it all the time)

Easy to pull apart.

Quite a few DOLers have the Juice Fountain. If you search here on "juicer" there are a few threads about what brands to buy.

ETA: Here's the latest version of my recipe by the way.

Poodlefan’s BARF Veggie Mix

Ok here it is. I've left references to the cat in in memory of my cat Haile (RIP)

I based this on Dr B's recipe for veggie patties in GYPWB. Lets see if I can explain it like a cook book does!

Ingredients

4 eggs (or can be added prior to serving)

1 small container of low fat natural yogurt

2 tablespoons of flax seed oil (I'm using a blend of oils these days called Megaderm)

4 tablespoons of Missing Link or other diet supplement as per dosage (optional)

2 kg of mixed fruit and veggies (I use some root veggies, some fruit and some green veggies in every mix)

1 kg full fat beef mince

1 large piece of liver or a few kidneys

Method

1. Add eggs, yogurt, flax seed oil and Missing Link to huge bowl (I use a big laundry bucket) and blend well

2. Add the mince and mix well . Remove cat from kitchen bench.

3. Juice a little of the fruit and veggies. Add some of the juice to a blender and blend the offal until smooth. Resist urge to smell mix – you will regret it. Try not to vomit at result’s appearance and add to main ingredients.

4. Run the rest of the fruit and veggies through the juicer or blender. Add all the pulp to the mix and enough juice to obtain a firm but not sloppy consistency. You should end up with about 30% mince mix and the rest is veggies.

6. Remove cat from bench again.

7. Cave in and give a little of fresh mince and mix to cat

8. Put into storage containers and freeze.

I find this mix feeds 5 mini poodles for 5 meals. My mix is evolving over time. I’ve used other additives like Power Blend, Barley Grass Power, Brewers Yeast, Vitamin C – I just change them from time to time. Currently I'm adding the an egg, Vitamin C, E and oil to each mix just before feeding. I'm using quite a bit of pumpking in the mix these days to keep my dog Lily's anal glands moving.

My large dog owning friends do all the stages from 1 to 3 and then freeze the mix, juicing fresh veggies separately to add to it. This cuts down on freezer space and the time taken to make the mix.

If you find your dog is not accepting the mix, add a little more fresh mince to their feed and slowly reduce the amount of mince they receive.

Good luck with your shopping expedition! I just use a simple blender (Ronson pro400) to mix up my patties. It cost me $60 or $70 at least five/six years ago, so a similar model should be much cheaper now.

Using a blender means your patties will be finely pureed. Start with a few moist ingredients first (eggs, meat etc), or the blender will freeze up. Once frozen, the patties are solid.

I have ablender too but found it wouldnt do the vegies too well, it is a Breville aswell. Ive been after new one now I havea good reason to get it :-)

Good luck with your shopping expedition! I just use a simple blender (Ronson pro400) to mix up my patties. It cost me $60 or $70 at least five/six years ago, so a similar model should be much cheaper now.

Using a blender means your patties will be finely pureed. Start with a few moist ingredients first (eggs, meat etc), or the blender will freeze up. Once frozen, the patties are solid.

I have ablender too but found it wouldnt do the vegies too well, it is a Breville aswell. Ive been after new one now I havea good reason to get it :-)

Hope you found something good! When I was still feeding vegies/fruit to Bean in his patties, I found it easy to blend them in my Ronson by starting with the wet stuff and then slowly adding small portions of chopped vegies/fruit until it was all done. I always ended up with a puree that looked and smelt like grass!

Hi VD

Didnt get out to look today but remembered for the interim I have a manual mincer like my gran used to have, forgot about that one mmmmmmm not sure how the arm muscles will cope with all that handle turning though. Am watching a couple on ebay aswell.

Hope you found something good! When I was still feeding vegies/fruit to Bean in his patties, I found it easy to blend them in my Ronson by starting with the wet stuff and then slowly adding small portions of chopped vegies/fruit until it was all done. I always ended up with a puree that looked and smelt like grass!