Introducing New Puppy To Existing Puppy

Moosashi

Hey all,

Our new beagle puppy, Indee, came home on Tuesday. She's a handful (quite literally - only weighs 2 kilos!) as most puppies are, likes to bite everything in sight and thinks it's all a big game (good fun tho!).

Our other puppy, Ziggy, is a 6 month old cocker cross poodle who is a great dog, very good natured with everyone and gets along well with the other dogs that she has met. Our problem is, the only other dogs she's really had contact with are adults who already know how to behave. Ziggy isn't territorial or aggressive at all, but even so we introduced them both carefully, had hold of them both and tried to make it as pleasant and fun as possible. Ziggy was very cautious, sniffed at her and seemed a bit bewildered at first. They started to play a little bit, both doing the bow and tail wagging/playful barking at each other, but then pup snapped at her face and that was it, Zig didnt want to play anymore.

My main problem is this - for the past 2 days, Ziggy hasn't really wanted a bar of the new pup. Pup will go over to her and they'll sniff for a few seconds, then pup will snap at Ziggy's face, causing Zig to back away with her tail down and eventually lose interest. Ziggy seems really timid and intimidated by her and wont even let pup sleep near her. They've played a little bit together, but their version of playing is Ziggy being chased by the pup snapping at her heels.

She's not interested in bonding at all so far. Has anyone been down this path before, and if so, how can i get them to break the ice? Is it a problem of them both being female, or just that pup has a more dominant streak?

It's a matter of time, for most cases. I brought home my pup about a month ago now and my male was pretty stressed out the first couple of days and there were twinges of aggression. I made sure I remained calm around both of them, rewarded them whenever they were good together and fast forward four weeks later and they get on very well and are playing.

Hi Moosashi,

I had a very similar problem, except I was introducing one Beagle to another.

At first I had to keep them seperated because they would fight continously.

I was told to let them sort out their differences and they eventualy did.

One is a male and the other is a female. The female is definetley the dominant one with very strong personality.

One thing I have learnt about Beagles is they love to play with their mouths.

I think the Beagle will end up being the dominant out of the 2 because they are very persistant dogs.

I would try and supervise them playing when you can and if Indee gets a bit carried away, just seperate them but don't make a big fuss and stay calm.

She will grow out of it and it will be a little rough at first.

I know for the first few weeks with my two, I was beginning to think if I did the right thing by getting another dog.

Now they are best mates and have their play scuffles all the time, its very cute.

It will work out, I know exactly how you must be feeling. Just hang in there.

Let us know how it goes.

marcos

Tess - Thanks, I've thought of the rewarding bit, but unfortunately playing together peacefully doesnt happen long/often enough yet to get a reward in!

Marcos - thanks for the support, you hit the nail on the head, we have been wondering if we'd done the right thing, poor Zig is a bit put out by it all, and i've been feeling almost guilty.

I have the same feeling that Indee will definately be the dominant of the two, she's very bold and strong willed. I know most puppies are fearless for the first few weeks, but she takes it to a new level!

We've been keeping them separate over night, pup is in the laundry in case of accidents, and Zig is living in the lap of luxury in the lounge room. Ideally we'd like them to both sleep together, but it's just not happening yet. Give it time i 'spose..

Keeping them seperate until they settle is definitley a good idea.

I remember I had to split my back yard into 2 seperate areas and only allow them together while I was there.

They will be best friends before you know, so don't feel guilty.

If you have never had a Beagle, one thing you will realise and love about them is that they are not afraid of anything.

They are very strong willed.

marcos

P.S can I see a photo of your Beagle pup

I have a six month old Vizsla and I just got a new pup on Monday! My pup is a Border Terrier and he is fearless also as he shares the house with Vizsla and a GSD. The GSD adores him and seems to have adopted him somewhat but the Vizsla is too rough and plays with him as though he were a big dog. I have bought two pens (combined for larger area) and made a spot for pup in the kitchen with toys, beds etc. I put him in there when I'm not around to supervise and let him out under strict supervision. When he is bigger he can mix full time with the others. Also I have never done puppy class before but I have booked in with this one. Playing with dogs his own height and age is less risky than the stampede that occurs in my backyard. :)

They've been a bit better today, Zig tried to play a bit with her this morning and a bit more last night. I think it will be better once Ziggy starts to stand up for herself a bit more.

Thank god indee was quieter over night...thought the beagles of the Apocolypse had arrived the first night she came home!

PS - Marcos, see attached photo!

post-20328-1201228375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moosashi

Just a quick follow up - both pups have started warming to each other and are playfighting/stealing each others toys and treats and generally playing like pups do...it's looking all good! Have a little way to go, but both are 200% better than they were.

Thanks for comments/suggestions.

Just a quick follow up - both pups have started warming to each other and are playfighting/stealing each others toys and treats and generally playing like pups do...it's looking all good! Have a little way to go, but both are 200% better than they were.

Thanks for comments/suggestions.

I had the same problem with introducing Missy to Roxy.

Missy wanted to play (as young pups do) and Roxy didn't want a bar of her.

Roxy would sit on the outdoor setting and watch Missy entertain herself but Roxy was petrified to go near her.

The only answer is time, as you've noticed improvement with time already.

Just look at my two girls in my avatar cuddling up together.

They are best of friends now.

It just takes time.